My grandson is 3 1\2..why does he love it when we massage him. I mean anywhere on his body,and when we stop he takes our hand and puts it back so we can keep massaging him.I would like to know if all our kids like this and why they like it so much

why do our kids like to be massaged so much? and do other kids with autism like this as well?

1grandmother

Asked by 1grandmother at 11:35 AM on Jul. 8, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My son has PDD. My daughter was originally diagnosed with it too but they recently said she was mis-diagnosed. *shrugs*

Anyway, they BOTH love this. It's a sensory thing I think. My son will actually get mad at me if I stop scratching his back (hey, my arm begins to hurt after a while) and my daughter will bring me lotion so I can massage her arms and legs.

My daughter's OT had told me that it's soothing and calming for some autistic kids.
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 11:39 AM on Jul. 8, 2008

• Doesn't everyone love a massage?
    If your grandson has autism AND is only 3 1/2, the only difference between him and us in this situation is that he hasn't learned that people don't just go around asking for massages. They also often have sensory issues and like amethystrse said, it's very calming for them.
    Cadreysmom

Answer by Cadreysmom at 11:42 AM on Jul. 8, 2008

• my daughter was like this also, when i asked the ped. about it she told me it is a reassurance thing for young children. i get the feeling you are more concerned that it is a sign of something more....ummm physical? if this is the case, and your g-son puts your hands places they SHOULD NOT be...you need to be looking further into a very scary situatuion i don't even dare type up.
    but as long as it is simple back rubs and massages there is no cause for concern at this young age, try to reassure him with words as well or a firm hug and when you are ready to stop your "lovin" as my daughter called it, firmly tell him "no, g-ma is done now" and like i said follow with a big hug.
    just try to wean him off the lovin' before preschool...hope i helped!
    Jennis_brats

Answer by Jennis_brats at 11:43 AM on Jul. 8, 2008

• Everyone loves to be touched. We poor, sad, neglicated adults have forgotten how wonderful it feels in our "hands-off" society. Gentle touches - especially non-sexual ones - trigger strong feelings of love and security in our brains.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:48 AM on Jul. 8, 2008

• who cares the reason do it as long as he'll let you. My nephews are autixtic and they could never tolerate that kind of touch. They are very sensory spastic.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:19 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• there's really nothing better than a loving touch. It feels good, it gives him comfort, and it keeps you close to him.
    lawmom623

Answer by lawmom623 at 12:40 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• Oh my god, my dh gives me massages almost everyday, and I LOVE it!!! People just like to be relaxed and feel loved.
    aschwer

Answer by aschwer at 12:56 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• dont YOU love a massage? lol who doesnt?!
    Dragonflyriri

Answer by Dragonflyriri at 1:17 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• My daughter loves it when I rub her back her belly and massage her legs and feet. I myself love physical contact so my guess is it starts early. She is also 3 weeks away from 4. Yes we are counting down!!LOL
    momto1727

Answer by momto1727 at 1:28 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• WELL FIRST THAT IS LIKE A RELAXER TO KIDS. MY SON IS THE SAME WAY AND HE IS 12 NOW. SOME KIDS AND OLDER PEOPLE HELP THEM SLEEP BETTER. I KNOW I LOVE A MASSAGE.
    moe125

Answer by moe125 at 1:50 PM on Jul. 8, 2008