How would you treat a 18 month year old attitude pinching and saying no constantly and throwing fits and crying?

johnandtabby

Asked by johnandtabby at 11:55 PM on Feb. 14, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i would start a time out for him telling me no, if he pinched me and knew he was doing it to hurt me i might pinch him back. i know biting back helps with a biting toddler. sometimes if they realize they are hurting you physically they stop. if you are against that you could put him time out for pinching too. it sounds like maybe he's tired though, try adding a short nap to his routine.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 11:59 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• pop them on the butt and sternly say no that is not acceptable.
    ready4baby2011

Answer by ready4baby2011 at 12:08 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• My son just turned 18, and I think he's had attitude since he was 9 months old! :)

I have 2 tones to my voice-- the everything is hunky dory tone and the "momma means business" tone. The latter is not done by yelling, but with an frowny expression and stern tone so that it catches his attention. Once I use it, there is no negotiation-- he does what he's told. If he does not, then I make him. I.e. "No climbing." He'll often ignore me the first time, so I go get him, take him off whatever he's climbing on, then tell him again, "no climbing." He'll get upset, but then I distract him by turning his attention to something he can do, such as play with his cups or toolset.

I also do my best to catch him doing what he's supposed to be doing-- "you're reading your book! That's wonderrful!" "You're so gentle with the kitty, how wonderful!" I make a bigger deal of him doing something good than I do with him doing bad.
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 12:45 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• At this age, too, they understand far more than they can communicate. So I try and make sure I specifically tell him what it is that he can't do instead of just "no." That way, he knows the specific act--i.e. "no pinch" or "no hit." I also try to tell him why-- "danger" or "dirty." I try to be expressive with my facial expressions too-- with the "dirty" explanation I make a face like "that is sooo gross!"

Giving choices helps, too. They feel more in control. Don't want to drink milk? ok-- milk or water?

Other times, it's just doing it over and over and over. He hates holding my hand when we go for a walk, but he hates it and it's vital he stays with me. When he pulls away, I say "stay with mommy." If he runs off, I grab his hand again and say "now we hold hands."
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 12:51 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• i've been trying my hardest bussi mommi on everything you just said i get the serious face and expressions and she gets a laugh out of everything i do. shes not as bad as some babies but her attitude is what's the worse. other than that she's a pretty good kid. eating right and sleeping in her own room and bed. She just makes faces back at me tells me no then when i get on to her she gives me this look and does this innoscent sweet stuff to try to get over on me. it's like nothing phases her.
    johnandtabby

Comment by johnandtabby (original poster) at 1:14 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• try a time out, just for like a few mins in a playpen or the crib. and let her know that its not nice. maybe a little smack on the hand or butt might work, and honestly if you smack on te butt, they have a lot of padding back there with the diaper so it hurts thier feelings mor than anything.
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 9:26 AM on Feb. 15, 2011