My baby is sick. What should I do?

My nine month old is sick for the first time. He has runny nose, coughing, and fever of 101 degrees. What should I do?

jacy3031

Asked by jacy3031 at 11:04 PM on Nov. 17, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Tylenol and a humidifier. Just make sure the fever doesnt get too high. As long as the tyelonl is bringing it down then he's good for tonight. Just be sure to call the dr in the morning. He may have an ear infection. Only give him watered down gatorade and/or pedialite and do the BRAT diet.
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 11:11 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• Give him some tylenol, keep his nose clear and booger pick it. Also of he is coughing keep him elevated while he sleeps. This will help with him choking on the drainage from his nose.

Keep an eye on the fever and it it continues to rise with the tylenol then I would take him in to the ER. If you can keep his fever under control, make an appointment with your pediatrician tomorrow morning. It is that time of year and it is looking like it is going to be a rough year with all the illnesses going on.

Also if the boogers are green def. make an apointment tomorrow.
    nyteowl

Answer by nyteowl at 11:09 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• What is the BRAT diet?
    jacy3031

Answer by jacy3031 at 11:13 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• BRAT diet is bananas rice applesauce and toast diet. In other words a bland diet. The BRAT diet is basically used for diarhea and or vomitting. If your munchkin isn't puking or having many loose stools or diarhea than I personally wouldn't worry about the BRAT diet.
    nyteowl

Answer by nyteowl at 11:23 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• As other moms said, get him on Tylenol and you can also alternate with infant Motrin as well.

For young babies, there isn't really any medicine you can give them other than that, so the biggest thing is treating the symptoms. Humidifiers are great and if you can take him into the bathroom with you while you shower that will help too. I also found a really great product by Vicks called BabyRub.....it is similar to vicks vaporub for adults but designed for babies. I would also use some of those saline nose drops to help break up the mucus and become real good friends with your babies worst enemy.....the bulb syringe.
    ajrobbins

Answer by ajrobbins at 11:36 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• nyteowl said it all.... i'm just adding that the easiest way to keep his head elevated is to put a pillow or two under his crib mattress at the head of his crib. =)
    Anonymous

• Also, as other moms said, keep an eye on the fever and if you can't break it or it climbs up higher than 101.5, you will most definitely want to take him in. My little girl had cold like symptoms awhile ago and I couldn't get the fever to break and when I took her in, we found out she had a double ear infection (she showed no signs of an ear infection like tugging at the ears, refusing to nurse, etc.). So, definitely keep an eye on that.
    ajrobbins

Definately agreed with this person.

If breastfeeding then keep nursing your baby often. Its the best thing to do for your baby when he/she is sick.
    SmileyMoo

Answer by SmileyMoo at 11:59 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• Thanks for all the great advice moms! I took Maddox to the pediatrician this morning and it was a double ear infection (ajrobbins)!
    jacy3031

Answer by jacy3031 at 2:38 PM on Nov. 18, 2008