Does anyone use this dog food?

My breeder wants me to feed my soon to be bully pup Orijen puppy food. Does anyone know about this food. My breeder states it's non-grain based and therefore better for dogs................advise....

BigMomm4

Asked by BigMomm4 at 12:41 AM on Feb. 15, 2011 in Pets

• Cute dog :-) I don't know of the food. My father is a pro dog breeder, has been for years and he will tell you to look for the highest content of real meat (not by-products), little or no rice and not too much fat. Nutrition labels and ingredients are on all pet foods. Just read the label.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 12:46 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• TY!!!
    BigMomm4

Comment by BigMomm4 (original poster) at 12:47 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I've never used it, but have heard nothing but great reviews. The only negative I've ever heard is that it is very rich so be sure not to feed too much, but if you're breeder is already feeding it or another high quality brand, there shouldn't be any problems. I feed mine Taste of the Wild. It is also grain-free, but a LOT cheaper! It is so awesome to see a breeder recommending a high-quality food...most of them recommend garbage like Purina, Pedigree, etc!
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 9:59 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• i could never afford that. it's like 5 star food. you dod have to watch how much you feed. if you can afford it then stick with what the breeder recommends. it's certainly a good food. i went with blue buffalo. bit cheaper but good food. do a search of best dog foods and you will see yours right at the top.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 10:05 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I have never tried the brand but your breeder is right about the no/low grain being the best for cats and dogs. They are meat eaters and eating cornmeal and other starches can shorten their lives considerably. It's not cheap but it's best for your pup.
    I feed my dog and cats a food called BG-Before Grain made by Merrick. I get it at a specialty pet store.It's not likely you will find more than 1 or 2 good kinds of pet food at a Petco/Petsmart and none at your local WalMart or grocery.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 3:35 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Your breeder is correct.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 11:59 PM on Feb. 15, 2011