I find this interesting

i was on a forum today where people can post anything and everything about their lifes philosophy or their religion, and when i was going through the posts i found this one,everyone was saying this girl was greedy for thinking this way
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~this is her post~*~*~*~*~*~*~

I could really care less what lies for me in the afterlife, as long as I
live till I'm ready to die I'll die with a smile on my face. Live for
yourself, and yourself only. Do not weaken yourself by putting your heart
into false hope. Live strong, happy, and let your children prosper with
free minds.

I am not a communist, but this is one of my favorite quotes:

“Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it
cannot understand” ~ Karl Marx

Feel free to disagree. (:

~*~*~*~end post~*~*~

i think almost the exact same way i was just glad someone was finally able to put it to words cuz i never could lol

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:55 AM on Feb. 15, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Live for yourself and yourself only? I think selfish is a better word than greedy.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 1:01 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• well shes talking about religion...instead of living in fear of going to "hell" live your life the way you want to
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:03 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• when she states live for urself and not other.. I totally get where she is coming for.. U cant live the life of others no matter how hard u try.. Not even ur kids.. Free will. Everyone possess it. U cannot live the life of other nor live ur life through others.. I think her qoute was beautifully put.. If u choose to look at it with an open mind & heart, that is:)
    tiamesmer

Answer by tiamesmer at 1:11 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• exactly she never ment she doesnt help other people she was just stating that you should live for yourself because not everyone is going to be happy with what you do
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:14 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Do what you feel you must but you cannot ignore loving and helping those around you. Religion doesn't dictate this thinking so I'll give Karl Marx a prop. Still I feel religion (while I'm not the slightest bit religious) is a necessary component to life for many souls living out their destiny.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 1:16 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I agree.  This life is the only one I have so I'm going to live it to it's fullest.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 6:18 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I agree with her in part, except that I think we need to think of more than just ourselves. I feel we need to show love and compassion for all living things, and believe we're all interconnected. I just don't believe in personal gods, in place called Hell to fear or in a place called Heaven to reward us. I believe this is our reality--here and now. I agree with the part about not living or doing things in our lives now due to reward or punishment in the afterlife. What matters is how we act and how we treat others now. We should be good people for it's own sake, not based on reward/punishment. JMHO

Here are a few similar quotes you might like:

"If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for a reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed." - Albert Einstein

"Religion is comparable to a childhood neurosis." - Sigmund Freud

"All thinking men are atheists." - Ernest Hemingway
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 9:12 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• You are missing the point in that you can do all of those things-be a good person, live your life to the fullest, be a thinking person and all of that and still have religion as part of your life. The two are not mutually exclusive. Just as you can be a good person without religion-you can be a good person with it as well. As far as the thinking part- well, of course knowledge, intellect and free will are all part of religion- why wouldn't it be?
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 9:17 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

Her overall attitude is great but I think she needs to be more open about those who do NOT believe this way. I do not agree with Karl Marx. Maybe it is true for some, but not me.
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 10:16 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I tend to agree with you as well. I'm not so sure about organized religion anymore either.
    TwilightMack

Answer by TwilightMack at 12:18 PM on Feb. 15, 2011