My 1 year old doesn't understand she suppose to chew food or suck on sippy cup

she is just now starting to take little bits of poofs but looks like she going to gag. Thick stage 2 and textured stage 3 she gags and chokes. The doctor wants her to stay on formula until she eats table food regularly, can you put formula in a sippy and should I boil them? Please help, new mom.

Tracee F.

Asked by Tracee F. at 1:22 AM on Feb. 15, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Don't worry about it mine did the same its not like they have to do all the milestones like a clock some take a little bit of time you can feed her some stuff that are chewy and soft at the same time like little pieces of mango or water melon or melon and you can put formula in the sippy but heat the water in something else like small pot do not use the sippy in the microwave and most of them you don't boil because it will destroy the cup just wash it like any other regular cup
    gou18

Answer by gou18 at 1:47 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• It takes time to understand what to do with the sippy cup. Let her hold it and manipulate it and experiment. That is the only way she will learn. She'll get it!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:34 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• my son gags too. i have had him to the doctor over it and he suggested lil bits at a time and to try things like yogurt, jello, puddings..... you do need to boil the sippies and the nipples too! you can put formula into them as well. hope all goes swell with you's
    Amanda11810

Answer by Amanda11810 at 8:20 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Do you still sterilize her bottles? I called my son's doctor when he was 11 months to ask if I still needed to sterilize them, they said I could have stopped at 4-5 months. I'd say no, you don't need to sterilize sippies.
    JZ10FPM

Answer by JZ10FPM at 11:09 PM on Feb. 15, 2011