Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

2 month old cousin in fostercare

My cousin was arrested tonight, she as about 5 kids yet has custody of none of them, the newest baby, two months old just got taken into fostercare tonight, im not sure what the mother did this time as I do not keep contact with her.

I need to find out if there is a process to help get the baby from fostercare and take care of the baby until she can complete a rehab program or until her sister inlaw can get on her feet enough to take over. My husband and I both have the room , we love kids, and we both have good jobs and no criminal record, do we have to go through a process to get a family member? I just dont want this baby lost in the system, there are great homes out there but there are also some not so great homes in the area the baby is in.

Any ideas.

Answer Question

Asked by Amiebugs at 1:57 AM on Feb. 15, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

Level 1 (3 Credits)
Answers (8)
  • You'll still have to go through the same process, however you might be able to do some of it (like the classes) while the child is in your care since it would be a kinship foster placement. You will still have to fill out all of the paperwork, get medical health checks, etc. Make sure all vaccinations, including pets, are up to date and get a home study done on your home. You will also have to give a list of references.

    Of course this varies county by county, state by state.

    You will need to prove to the court that you're also interested in reunification to the parent. You should start by finding out who the caseworker is, and contacting him or her. That is the best way to get this ball rolling, as they will have all of the other information you will need such as the Mothers background, and the childs current placement, etc.

    Answer by Razelda at 2:03 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

  • When my Mom did the classes, I believe it was 12 of them and you could either do it during the week or on Saturdays. The Saturday classes lasted ALL day and you need to attend every one of them in order to complete it. The child can be removed from your home if you're supposed to follow through on things and miss as little as one class. And yes, they will seriously do it.

    To help you prepare, even though the child is so young they are likely going to require that your house be fully baby proofed and you also have a fire extinguisher near any source of flame, even in the kitchen. The child will also need a bed and a dresser, if not a closet. The caseworker that is assigned to the case can help you with all of this, and any more information. Do expect some to come out of your pocket, as CPS/DHS will not pay for these things. However, once you are a foster parent you will most likely be getting a payment per month to help cover

    Answer by Razelda at 2:07 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

  • some of the childs costs. The child will also be eligible for WIC and will also be covered under state health insurance.

    Answer by Razelda at 2:07 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

  • If you're going to have to hire a sitter, or if you already have one, CPS/DHS is going to require that they are certified through the state and you can get into huge trouble for using anyone that is not. That is something to take into consideration as well. It's a good idea to let the caseworker know ALL contact information pertaining to anyone who will be taking care of the child while he or she is in your care.


    Answer by Razelda at 2:09 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

  • My mom lost us kids also and my grandmother went to the home and they told her what to do. She went to Family court and asked for TEMP Custody and they awarded her it we were there for maybe a month at the most...I hope you ge tthis baby cause there are BAD homes out there and my brother was in one of them that month we were taken....He still has problems tothis day cause he remembers it so I pray and encourage you to look into everything to make this as fast as you can to get that baby in your home....Call your local family court and see what process you have to do. GOOD LUCK and GOD BLESS..

    Answer by Mrs.Norris at 3:07 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

  • She can get temporary custody but they're not going to award her temporary until some of the process has been done. By state regulations (generally speaking here) she has to have a background check and at least a home study done on her house before they will give that to her. However, within 72 hours of the child placed into foster care they should have a court hearing. This would be the perfect time to raise your voice about wanting to offer the child a kinship home.

    Your local family court has nothing to do with CPS or DHS. CPS and DHS has their own court system which is not open to the public nor is it even in the same location as family court. You NEED to contact the worker!


    Answer by Razelda at 3:20 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

  • Depends on where you live. B/c you are family, cps would give you priority over a stranger. It's called kinship foster care. Call the Dept. Of Social Servies in your cousins city and ask for CPS. Make sure you keep calling until they get you an apt to come in. Actually, if it were me, I'd go directly to the office & sit and wait for the caseworker, to speak with her directly!

    Answer by liteofmine71 at 10:14 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

  • Thank you all for the wonderful advice, and actual insight. There are some things I hadn’t thought about mentioned above, that should have seemed obvious to me. I am not set up for a baby, however this will give me time to acquire those things. Thank you all again :)

    Comment by Amiebugs (original poster) at 10:57 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.