Marriage

I was watching a show on marriage. Said statistically we are IN the lovey dovey stage anywhere from 4 mo's to  3 yrs. When we Marry in our twenties we are 70% more likely to divorce. In our thirties we are 16% likely to divorce and in our forties 7% likely to divorce. I just thought wow......who really takes the time to do these studies.

justalady774

Asked by justalady774 at 2:37 AM on Feb. 15, 2011 in Relationships

• My exs family would always tell me that the 1st 7yrs were the hardest& if u can get pass that then you would be together for life, Wth? Lol. Why would anyone want to wait 7 yrs n see if things got better? Crazy people.
    gabby06

Answer by gabby06 at 2:40 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Hmmm, I got married in my 20s...hubby and I started having issues at 9 years in. Hoping to work through things... -sigh- Statistics are what I had to read up on too...but I want the positive stats...like how many MAKE it rather than the negative. I know, I can do math too...so if only 70% divorce...30% can make it...not good odds but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I tend to flock towards those types of shows though lol.
    Imortlmommy

Answer by Imortlmommy at 2:58 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Age has nothing to do with it. It depends on who you picked to marry and what your reasons for marrying were. I married when I was 19, my mom was 18 and my grandmother was 16. We've been married 8 years, 35 years and 60 years respectively.

SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 3:24 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I hate those type of shows honestly their numbers just don't add up for me lol. Truth is, a marriage is about teamwork as long as you guys stay in love and work together-it will last. If not you move on, but then you have to also remember people change in a marriage-some grow apart, and others are stupid enough to screw up a good thing. But whatever your choice, nomatter what it is-is on you and you have to live with it and statistics got nothing to do with it nor the opinions of those who on telivision lol
    heartsicksiren

Answer by heartsicksiren at 5:03 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I divorced my first husband after 30 years. Statistics can show anything. It's knowing how to read them that is important. How they draw the graphs, how they present the numbers can all skew the results.

I personally thing the first few years are the hardest, and if it is a blended family situation it is even more difficult.
    lilangilyn

Answer by lilangilyn at 7:35 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I think it depends on what you do together and how you compliment each other as to whether or not it can last. I do believe people can change and the person you married when you were 20 can be a different person in their 30's because experiences help us evolve into other people. Sometimes we evolve into better people, sometimes not, but those types of things are what can make or break a marriage. Often times I think a lot of people stay together once they have children at least until they feel it will be easier on the children but they had lost their love for one another a long time ago. I know it is not that way for everyone but I think each situation is different and circumstances and events can make significant changes in people and feelings.
    2boysnaprincess

Answer by 2boysnaprincess at 10:04 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Well, I got married at 32 and divorced at 38. However, we did get married fast. And it was a full year into our relationship until his true personality appeared and we were already married then.
    rio_burb

Answer by rio_burb at 10:47 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• i don't know but that's why i don't want to get married
    Amanda11810

Answer by Amanda11810 at 11:54 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• My husband and I have been married 4 years and have been happy. Although most of his family is in Texas, I do make him call them regularly. I don't want to deprieve him of talking to his family.
    jilligan362

Answer by jilligan362 at 1:26 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Somebody's who's not married.....lol
    dusty1962

Answer by dusty1962 at 8:49 PM on Feb. 18, 2011