My daughter is starting Kindergarten in the fall...

And I am FREAKING OUT!
I am so scared for her.
We could not afford pre-school so she has never been in a school setting. I work from home so no day care. She is an only child so no kids around to play with. We, her father and I, have friends with kids around her age and she has gotten to play with them once in a while like birthday parties every few months or so but otherwise there is nothing really to prepare her and it is scaring me so much.

She has always been very attached to me and I just worry about her being there by herself.
We tried to leave her in the pre-school class at church on Sunday but it is a small church so it consisted of a small room and two teenage girls... not very inspiring.
One time I took her to the day care at my gym and she was very excited about it and wasn't at all scared when I left her there, and when I came back for her she was sitting at a table coloring with two other kids. That was two hours. (how long is a kindergarten day?)
and putting her on a bus... it is all so scary for me.. *I have anxiety so I don't know if that is why it is making it harder for me to imagine but as the time gets closer it is getting more and more scary* I am about to cry as I write this because I just... She is my baby..
Any inspiring words to help me through this will be very appreciated .. thanks.

Bribry

Asked by Bribry at 5:50 AM on Feb. 15, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• She will be absolutely fine! I promise you. I've been through this quite a few times now and I can definitely tell you that you will be three hundred times more scared than she is. If when she went to the gym she wasn't scared or worried at all then I think that you've got a giant thumbs up for kindergarten! How is she feeling about kindergarten in the fall?

The most reassuring thing I can tell you is that all mothers go through this the first time, just try not to cry! (I did, I practically sobbed... *CRINGE*)
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 6:07 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Oh & she sounds like she gets on with other children really well!
    leah_rai

• Oh that was me last year! My oldest is in K this year. I was the mom that followed the bus to school (crying) and then spied from around the corner to make sure he got in the school ok. AND...the best part is...I'm an elementary school teacher! Now, our K had a couple transition nights where we took them to school for an hour and stayed with them in the room with their teacher and she read them stories and got to know them. They did it once a month for the last 4 months of the school year (so it was last Feb-May) That helped to ease everyone's nerves! Call your school and see if they do anything like that. The school I work at does a similar program but it's during the summer.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 6:48 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• She'll be fine!! The really important thing is to NOT show her your anxiety, talk about how fun it's going to be, the new friends she will meet, all the things she will learn - it should be an exciting time for her. Take her to her school in the summer and have her play on the playground, and if there are any open houses, go.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 6:59 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I think she will be fine. I will also tell you if she starts crying or saying she doesn't like it I would talk with her teacher to find out how she is at school. My DD would cry and say she didn't want to go. I would worry and be very upset about this so I went in and talked with her teacher. The teacher told me, she is fine when she is here I think she is just pulling your leg. After learning this I talked with my DD and she said "Yeah I love school" So be careful about that.

I would not worry about her not being in pre-school or daycare because there are lots of kids that don't have those things and they adust well. I do know some parents that would follow the bus to make sure there kids got to school. If it were me I woudl wait at the bus stop and watch her get on the bus. Remember if something happens the school will contact you.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:34 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• She'll be fine. More importantly, perhaps in this case, is so will YOU! Sounds like your experience at the gym indicates your daughter is able to move into new situations with ease even without you there to help her. That means you've done a great job at giving her confidence!

Kindergarten is often a harder transition for the parents than the kids. It marks a major turning point for your daughter and that can be really hard - here's your baby moving to the next step where she's really not a baby any more. It's official. She's a 'school kid' and that means saying good bye to stage of YOUR life. BUT, here's the thing, school aged kids are fun and amazing too. As they start to discover and explore they come home with new things to share. You're conversations are going to move to a whole new place. It's a great time to be a parent. You'll be enjoying this stage so much you'll forget you were sad to say goodbye to the other
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 12:07 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Thank you for all the support it has really eased my mind a bit.. it is still frightening but I know it is one of those things that has to happen in life.
    Bribry

Comment by Bribry (original poster) at 2:55 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• hi, sorry i couldn't get through the whole thing b/c im so tired, everything is just blended together, i stopped at you freaking out and her being an only child, lol. my son started kindergarden this yr, and i was freakingout to. but i promise you, she will be having so much fun, and making lots of new friends. and i promise, you will enjoy the downtime also! you laugh, you'll cry, take lots of pics on the first day of school.....i took him to his first day just so i could take lots of pics! lol. just relax, breath, and trust your daughter. she'll be just fine!
    LoveMyLos

Answer by LoveMyLos at 10:19 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I just found out other news today that adds to my anxiety. Apparently due to the way the district lines are set up here, instead of my daughter going to the new near by elementry school with the great reputation and we can walk to when it is warm, apparently she has to be bused to an older further away school with less of a reputation... How is that even fair.. it is RIGHT here why can't she go there? if we want her to go there we have to do a school transfer but we have to find her our own transportation and her dad works early in the morning and I don't drive... is there anyway to get her in the school I want and have transportation? In my school district when I was a kid we went to the school that was closest to our home, this area is different and I just don't get why they would not have her in the brand new school that opened a mile and a half from our home.... trying not to let her see my emotions over it all though ..
    Bribry

Comment by Bribry (original poster) at 1:13 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• i have anxiety issues as well and mine is in kindergarten this year..im so afraid of how mean the kids are at her school and if i did let her right the bus, the particular bus she would ride has lots of bullies; my neighbors kids get picked on and their age range is 6-10..its very stressful for me to take her to school just becuase shes going to public school...i already had one scare at her old school where the TA decided his 8hrs were up and passed her onto another teacher, she got on the wrong bus. i had no clue where she was and she teacher wasnt in the class room by the time i got to her school....i was Totally freaking at this point..i was cussing out admin, and as soon as i walked in the door they told me what had happened and i had to go wait at the bus barn for her...of course she thought it was the funnest thing in the world..ever since then, i dont know when ill be ready to let her on the bus..its just so scary
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 3:16 PM on Feb. 16, 2011