Do you think that the values of marriage should be taught alongside sex ed in schools?

I'm not sure how it's done in the USA but it's certainly not boosted with sex ed here at all. Sometimes I think it's sad that less people are getting married or that they are getting divorced quickly as have rushed into marriages that really will not last.

So I was wondering this morning whether it should be taught in schools. Even tenets of a good marriage and ways to keep it alive as well as when not to rush into things etc! I'm not sure it would do anything for the teenage pregnancy statistics, but they've happened for the last goodness knows how many centuries (they were just better hidden!). Instead maybe we could produce some more stable teenagers?

If they do teach it in the US/whatever country you are in do you agree with it being taught or do you think they should do it differently in any way? (technically they teach it here, but it's more a of a mention it once topic as in "some people get married")

leah_rai

Asked by leah_rai at 6:02 AM on Feb. 15, 2011 in Relationships

• uhm, well yes and no because everyone's "ideals" would be different. You can tell just from looking on CM.

As far as teaching ethics, loyalty and morality...maybe, but again thats more of an upbringing thing than a school thing. imho
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 6:19 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I think we'd all need to agree on what the values of a good marriage are. That's going to be really challenging. I have decided to teach what I value in a marriage to my boys, rather than rely on the schools to do it. I don't mind the schools going over human biology with the kids, but when it comes to value systems, I think that's going to be really difficult for the schools to cover the wide range of value systems present in the US.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 6:19 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I think it has to come from kids watching their parents; no amount of lecture is going to "show" someone how to be a good married person. A general psychology class (which are offered in many high schools) usually touches on communication/relationships, I think that's the extent of what should be required in a school curriculum.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 6:36 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• agree with Zoeyis
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 6:51 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I agree with scuba to a degree. Although, you have these people raising kids terrible ways. I have one guy friend who is a freaken cave man & makes his wife wait on him hand & foot. He thinks marriage should be that way. Maybe, just MAYBE, if a teacher in school told him that kind of marriage will not be a happy one, it could have planted some kind of seed in his head.....ya know?

Not every kid is required to take psychology, but most are required to take sex ed. I think Relationship ethics would be good taught alongside sex ed. I think it would be great for teenagers to debate what they think makes a marriage last in a class room setting.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 6:52 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• "yes and no because everyone's "ideals" would be different"

True, but when it comes to things like respect, friendship & fairness....i think we can all agree that we all want that in a marriage.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 6:54 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Parents need to be more involved in teaching of both sex ed and marriage values. Parents need to set a good example to their children in both subjects. Teachers have enough to do trying to educate children in regular school subjects. Why should parents rely on teachers to do what is the parents responsibility!
    ElenaC419

Answer by ElenaC419 at 6:56 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Completely agree ElenaC419 - it is the parents responsibility. However if they are forcing their sex ed views on our kids, which is pretty compulsory in schools and needed because some parents don't mentioned sex to their kids, then I think they should teach relationship values etc!
    leah_rai

Comment by leah_rai (original poster) at 7:00 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Schools should not be in the values business. Everyone's values are different, and it's a huge kettle of worms to try and teach that.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 7:22 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• SamuraiChica; I think what you stated; "True, but when it comes to things like respect, friendship & fairness....i think we can all agree that we all want that in a marriage" I want those things, you want those things - but in some cultures the definition of these terms is subjective and broad. It's not for a Western eye to judge how others value and go about marriage. America is quite the melting pot; IMO, teaching someone about marriage would be akin to teaching them religious beliefs.

I wish we could have a class like this, it just can't happen without violating civil rights.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 7:25 AM on Feb. 15, 2011