Do your kids know how to swim>

is it important to you?

gardenchic

Asked by gardenchic at 6:58 AM on Feb. 15, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• My son does not. He went to a swim class last summer but didn't really care cause I was in the water with him! This coming summer will be his first by himself and he is 4. Yes, it is very impotant to me that he learn how to swim!!
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 6:59 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Yes both my kids learned early, I would recommend all kids learn to swim, it's very important.One suggestion though, Make it fun!!
    anichols1

Answer by anichols1 at 7:03 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• It's very important to me; DH and I love the ocean and go every chance we get. Aside from that, we have friends with pools, parks with lakes - I want to make sure they can at least tread water for safety. All of our kids know how to swim.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 7:03 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• It's important to me & i think it should be important to every parent. why wouldn't it be? Accidents happen all the time & kids drown. Knowing how to swim would save their lives. EVERY year here in GA, you hear about kids swimming in lakes to beat the heat in the summer time & EVERY year, kids drown because they can't swim...yet they are still so hot, they jump in the lake or pond anyway. Every single year, kids die because they can't swim.

My DD knows how to swim very well. Every child should know how to swim.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 7:10 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• My daughter figured out how to doggie paddle last summer (at 3 years) and this summer, she's getting swimming lessons, because it is important to me.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 7:19 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Yes, I was a swimmer growing up because my mother was not a strong swimmer and she felt we needed to be. So when I had kids I felt that it was important for them to be able to swim. I started teaching them at 8 months old and now at 13, 11 and 9 they all swim on a competative swim team. It is a great sport and a wonderful way to keep in shape. Also it is something you don't lose and they will be able to do when as they get older. To this day I still swim ever chance I get.

cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:25 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Yes all of my kids know how to swim, as do my grandkids. It is extremely important to me and I think of it as a life skill all people should have.

Answer by gemgem at 7:51 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Both my kids learned to swim at early ages. Their doctor didn't recommend them to learn until they were about 2 years old. It is very important to learn to swim. They had a swimming program when they were in 2nd grade. They would bus the kids to the high school and they would swim 2x per week as part of gym class. As part of freshman gym the kids must take swimming for 3 full weeks.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 8:15 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• No. dd is 2 and doesn't like the water yet. It scares the crap out of me that she doesn't know how.... I feel that it's very important to know how to swim.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 8:18 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Both of my kids know how to swim. I, however, do not!
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 8:38 AM on Feb. 15, 2011