Am I the only one who didn't babyproof my house?

A friend today was telling me how upset she was when she had to live with her parents for a few months. And they didn't baby proof for her young son. It got me to thinking. I never baby proofed (and certainly didn't expect others to for me). I figured, he is just going to have to learn to work around things. I get the whole being safe thing, but I never left my son out of sight for long. He never once hit his head on a table or stuck anything into a socket. I am just wondering, am I the only one who thinks like that now days? I know it is probably old fashioned to think this way.

ILoveCade

Asked by ILoveCade at 7:08 AM on Feb. 15, 2011 in General Parenting

• I agree with you. Baby proofing vs. supervision.....supervision wins.
    ElenaC419

Answer by ElenaC419 at 7:09 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I never baby-proofed. I never had to move my fine crystal off the living room coffee table either. I watched my kids like a hawk and taught them proper behavior. I believe in being realistic about the dangers that children can get into but I also see how paranoid and scared today's parents are about EVERYTHING!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:11 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I never did either and neither of my boys touched or got into things they shouldn't have for the first time they tried they got a slap on the hand and were told a stern "NO" and they knew enough not to try to touch or mess with the stuff again.
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 7:12 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• i am with you!!! WE DID NOT WITH EITHER CHILD!
    gardenchic

Answer by gardenchic at 7:15 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I didn't really babyproof either although I did put a gate at the top of the stairs.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 7:15 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I didn't baby proof my house either. I would let my kids go where ever they wanted pretty much. We had an open floor plan in our house so I could always see them.

cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:17 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I guess I'm the same way, plus I don't think you can completely baby proof your home. The only cabinet I have locks on is the one with the cleaning products. No matter where I put something, he is going to find a way to get it. I have to flip my chairs on top of my kitchen table, because so he doesn't push around the kitchen or climb on to the table. Electrical outlets are uncovered but he never tries to put anything in them, he just tries to unplug everything, lamps, computer, etc. No matter how well you baby proof, they are just gonna find something else to get in to.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 7:18 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I only put the outlet covers on and a child lock on the front door. My sister and I didn't even have that growing up but we were always safe.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 7:30 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• All I did was remove glass bowls from the coffee table. I never had a need to do anything more.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:40 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I've never babyproofed; I just didn't see the need. The only thing I did do was put a block of wood on the floor so my youngest couldn't get his walker down the steps to our basement.

I've had kids come to my house that are into everything - their parents have babyprooofed everything. I don't think they learn what's ok to touch and what's not if everything is "safe" in their house.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 7:41 AM on Feb. 15, 2011