Could it be strep? updated on 2nd page

I have no experience with strep. My son has never had it. Yesterday, he vomited a few times, no fever and acting normal. Today, he got up complaining of a sore throat. His glands feel swollen and he says his neck hurts around where the swelling is.

Could this be strep throat?

Thanks for any advice. I know this seems silly, but like I said, he's never had it before!

tracy0812

Asked by tracy0812 at 7:15 AM on Feb. 15, 2011 in Health

• use a flashlight and look into his mouth. Strep typically causes white patches on the back of the throat. Strep is VERY contagious, he needs to get a throat swab done to confirm and get treated.
    ElenaC419

Answer by ElenaC419 at 7:17 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Have him sip something. If it is wicked hard & painful to swallow, then he probably does have strep. Also, strep does not come with any other cold symptoms. If he has a stuffy nose, or is coughing, then it's probably not strep but a sore throat due to a cold virus. Strep is a bacterial infection & does not have any other symptoms besides the soar throat.

Strep also comes with fever, sometimes skin peels on the palms of the hand with strep & you might be able to see red or white patches in the back of the throat near the tonsils. Amoxicillan will take the pain away in 1 day, but you have to take the whole thing for a week to make sure it does not come back.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 7:20 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• my 2 year old started out with strep the same way. she vomited several times the first day and had no other symptoms. the next day i took her to the doctor, worrying about dehydration, she still had no other symptoms so the doctor chalked it up to a virus. i told the doctor that i had just gotten over strep a few days ago, and so she decided to do a swab on her. turns out she was in the very beginning phase of it! she had a faint positive for strep. luckily we caught it early on and it didnt get much worse.

one good indicator of strep is white streaks on the tonsils or throat. this is excess bacteria. strep is highly contagious and needs immediate treatment by a doctor.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 7:22 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I have had strep so many times I can't even count and have never vomited with it. I agree with pp, get a flashlight and check the back of his throat for white spots. And also the swallowing, if he is having issues swallowing get him into the doc. ASAP!! It is very contagious and NOT fun!
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 7:23 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• btw, the vomiting is more common with children than with adults. adults usually start out with a fever
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 7:24 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• kids can sometimes vomit at the beginning phase of strep, adults....not so much.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 7:24 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• He is complaining of pain when he swallows. i looked with a flashlight, but couldn't see anything, just looked really swollen! I think I'll take him to the doctors just to be on the safe side! Thanks everyone!!
    tracy0812

Comment by tracy0812 (original poster) at 7:30 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• if the tonsils are red, and it's not strep, then it could be tonsilitis. either way you need to take l/o to the doctor. GOOD LUCK!! i've had both several times, and laryngitis (sp?) <---THAT sucked big time. poor baby
    AngryBob

Answer by AngryBob at 7:43 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• im sure by now you have had it checked, but just wanted to add neither me nor my daughter had the white patches at first. she actually never got them because we caught it early on. and mine didnt show up til actually a day after having started my antibiotic. but swollen/red/pain could all be signs of it or just typical sore throat. hope he gets to feeling better soon!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:24 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• He has an appointment at 3:30 this afternoon. I called as soon as they opened, and that was all they had available. I feel so bad, he keeps telling me it hurts, and other than give him Tylenol and cold foods, there isn't much I can do.
    tracy0812

Comment by tracy0812 (original poster) at 10:28 AM on Feb. 15, 2011