Mommy did we come from monkey's? Is the question my 6 year old comes home and asks me!!!!

I was very angry. I understand some do not want their children taught creation. I also have NO interest in my child being taught evolution. My question is.... Why did they take God out of public schools but still teach evolution? I believe that particular subject should be taught at home!

SWEETPEAS3MOM

Asked by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 7:59 AM on Feb. 15, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I dont want my kids taught evolution either unless they are also taught creationism since to me they would go hand in hand. There are also theories we came from aliens but that isnt taught in school is it?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:16 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Evolution is a proven scientific fact, at least as it relates to many species in the animal kingdom. The link between man and overall evolution is really the only hotly topic within the theory. Evolution and creationism don't go hand in hand - evolution is science, and part of just about every public schools curriculum. If you want your children to learn about creationism, private Christian school is where they need to be. My friend has two children in private Catholic school, both have been taught about evolution as part of their science curriculum.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:41 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I'm a Christian (RC Catholic) and have no issue with evolutionary sciences (as I also study aspects of evolution and my formal education is in paleontology). I do have great issue with your child being taught that "we come from monkeys" because that isn't what evolutionary science understands. "We come from monkeys" is a far cry from "all primates share a common ancestor".

In regard to whether or not the theory of evolution should be taught in schools, I think it should - with all of the weight a scientific theory has behind it. Theories in science have strict definitions and it doesn't appear that you understand what that is. Scientific illiteracy is a huge problem for the United States and it makes me sad that you wish to continue this tradition with your children.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 8:52 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• So teach them whatever various alternate theories you'd like to at home. I personally like to tell my daughters that there are several proposed theories of how earth and its beings came into existence so they aren't all surprised when they hear people talking about it. I personally don't believe in literal creationism, but I think it's important for my kids to know that some people do.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 8:03 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• "He did tell me it came from the science book and his teacher said so. I now realize how wrong I was for not allowing my children know that there ARE other theories out there! I guess I need to study on those other theories while they are at school and sit down with them and let them know what we believe but some believe_____...... "

That's exactly what I meant, OP. It's not like you can shield them from hearing about evolution. And please don't take this offensively, but if you want your children to be taught nothing but religious ideas and theories, then a private christian school would likely be a better fit than public schools for your kids.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 8:12 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• If he asked whether we came from monkeys, then either it's a poorly written textbook or he didn't understand it. Evolution DOES NOT SAY WE CAME FROM MONKEYS!

Answer by gdiamante at 12:21 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Why does science anger you so?
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 11:36 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Just to clarify, I'm not bashing anyone's beliefs...I'm just trying to explain why I don't feel ANY religious teachings have a place in the classroom. It's for EVERYONE'S protection and rights, including those of christians.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 8:35 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Why does science anger you so?

LOL!! You want to know the best thing about science? Its true wether people believe in it or not!!!

momofone072506

Answer by momofone072506 at 11:54 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Why did they take God out of public schools but still teach evolution?

Because one is fact, the other is not!

beeky

Answer by beeky at 4:20 PM on Feb. 15, 2011