Anyone else "measuring big"?

Went to the doctor yesterday and had my glucose screen done -- first off that orange "soda" was terrible. The first half I thought wow this is good....and then I chugged the second half and thought wow this is not gonna be good....lol

But anyway -- after they did my blood draw they doctor came in and I got to hear the heartbeat -- which I love -- and then she measured my tummy and told me I was "measuring big". Said I could wind up with a big baby. Anyone else measuring big?

I weighed 8 lbs 9 oz. when I was born and the hubby was 8 lbs 4 oz. -- she said our baby should weigh similar to what we did when we were born.

BlandBaby

Asked by BlandBaby at 8:06 AM on Feb. 15, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Measuring big doesn't really mean a whole lot. It could be the way the baby is laying, a lot of amniotic fluid, etc. I never measured big, and from my measurements the drs thought my first son was going to be 6 1/2 pounds. I can tell you that my first son was over a pound bigger than either my husband or I were when we were born, although I had also heard the baby should be about the same size. He was 8 lbs 9 oz. At this point in your pregnancy I wouldn't worry about whether the baby will be big or not.

Answer by missanc at 8:14 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• well i have measured big the entire time..up to 2 to 3 weeks bigger than i should..i found out i have gestational diabetes and my doctor still talks about me having a big baby...so yes it is something to think about but not worry too much cuz then you will be thinking more about that than you will about your sweet little baby..i was 5 pounds 3 oz when i was born and my husband was almost 9 so anywhere in there i will be happy..because of my GD i have had 4 ultrasounds and the last one we measured the baby at 32 weeks and he was 5 lbs which i know you cant go on that anyway cuz i had a lot of amniotic fluid too but listen to your doctors concerns and try to eat healthy and not so much sugar or carbs cuz the sugar intake has a lot to do with how big the baby gets too just like us..fruit is high in sugar as well ..it may be your body is getting bigger to accommodate the baby as it gets bigger later
    ahsot1230

Answer by ahsot1230 at 10:20 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I measured big on all my kiddos. The cm's are suppose to match how many weeks you are. And when you have your sono that measures the baby. They measure the kidney's, femur, and head all measurements should average out to how many weeks you are also. I was a 7 lb baby and my DH was a 7 lb baby but both our moms smoked while prego which reduces the size of the baby. My oldest was 8lbs 2oz , my middle was 8 lbs 13 oz, and my youngest was 1 wk early and 8lbs 13oz. My younget measured 2 weeks bigger the whole way through. I knew the exact day we had you know.
    momof2cuteboys

Answer by momof2cuteboys at 10:30 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I measures big with this baby, and when I went for my 20 week ultrasound, the tech said I had fluid above the baby..if you're concerned about then ask your doc..it doesn't necessarily mean you're going to have a big baby. It could b many different things.
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 12:11 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I went yesterday and at 20 weeks, I'm measuring 25 weeks. I haven't gained much weight and the baby seems fine. I'm going to the perinatologist in the morning, but I'm not overly concerned. I think the baby may have just been in a weird position. I've never had a big baby, so I don't expect one now.
    fancyjane

Answer by fancyjane at 5:41 PM on Feb. 15, 2011