Autism Spectrum kids and parents of question....

Do you find yourself being literally repetitive.. I mean word for word, day after day at nearly the same time each day?

I'm so sick of it.
I've gotten to where I kinda had to give up on some of the things I tell my 12yo DS, who has Autism, Aspergers, and General Anxiety disorder and Anger Mgt, and just will not "get it"...ever. Its the same day in/ day out over and over and it makes me feel indifferent after awhile to anything. I just feel like "Screw it, why bother to tell him Whatever, because he'll just keep doing it". And sure enough 24 hours later, he's doing it.

Gotten to the point where DH and I can predict exactly whats going to happen every day like a robot or something.

edit: Ever see that movie Groundhog Day? Thats basically how it is for us. And its very boring after a while.

Its like watching the same episode of an old sitcom over and over and over. How long can you take that? lol

Zoeyis

Asked by Zoeyis at 8:08 AM on Feb. 15, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• my 12 year old daughter has aspergers...I have found the easiest way to get through to her is to write it down and put it on her bedroom door.
    Behoavioral therepy is very helpful, did wonders for my child.....also finding a local support group is great....we keep craft kits in the house for the I'm bored moments...board games are great too....yes its hard for them to enteratain themselves they have to be taught, sometimes over and over...it takes time!
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 11:16 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• record yourself and then press the button
    miritrose

Answer by miritrose at 8:09 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Yep - just part of him having autism. I've learned to accept it and just move on.

Answer by missanc at 8:10 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• sorry you are having such a hard time. I know for me when my DD is tired that is when I can tell how things are going to go. She doesn't have the same thing every day, although she does have the same things when she is tired or frustrated. I do understand not wanting to have to repeat yourself because sometimes I get tired of telling her no all the time or please stop that.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 8:11 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I never got sick of it, because it was who my son was. I got more sick of dealing with the school and the people working there who obviously had no training in dealing with an autistic child. I probably had a different outlook though. My mom, and my aunt both graduated with masters in psych, I also have my degree in psychology, so I basically knew how to handle my son when we had his diagnosis and had alot of support when I got tired. You might want to look into behaviorial therapy for him. It worked wonders on my son and they work with the child and the family. They taught us all coping skills, and how to handle particular repetitive situations,and what to stress about and how to let some of it just go.

Answer by gemgem at 8:11 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I GET IT!! My son doesn't have an official diagnosis, but I think he's on the spectrum. It truly is repetitive and it gets really OLD:)
    Roisin07

Answer by Roisin07 at 8:36 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I soooooo understand. We just accept it as part of our life and deal with it. What gives me the ability to accept is knowing I have support from other autism parents. Thank You!!!!
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 9:22 AM on Feb. 15, 2011