What would you do in this situation?

If you are in a restaurant with your children and they are playing and having fun but getting a little rowdy so you ask them to settle down, they do but the couple that is sitting behind you have the balls to tell you that you need to learn to control your children and that you should be embarrassed as to how they are in the restaurant. What would you do or say back? I told them they needed to mind their own business and that it was none of their business and we were handling it and the old man told me that it was his business and that we should make our kids mind better in public. Again how would you handle this?

Christmaslver68

Asked by Christmaslver68 at 8:17 AM on Feb. 15, 2011 in General Parenting

• I used to work in a restaurant, so what you do is ask the server to please get the manager. You complain to the manager about the couple and tell them if they do not want your business or your children you will take your business elsewhere, however you did not see a sign anywhere stating that children were not welcomed.

Answer by gemgem at 8:19 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• That's tough; I've been on both sides of that. (Although I would never say something to anyone.) When we take all 5 kids out, heck, even just my 3, they can start to get a little loud. If I think they are annoying other people, I'll leave if they don't behave. (They know this and are almost always very well behaved, we've left once). My kids shouldn't ruin others nights out - we have every right to be there, just as they do - but there is a behavior code that needs to be followed. The place for kids to get loud is Chuck E Cheese, not a nice sit-down restaurant.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:24 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I'd have said "well thanks but you have no say over how I parent my children" If your kids did as you asked(and you said they did) then it would seem to me that you do have control and your kids do mind you.
    how_reb

Answer by how_reb at 8:21 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Some people are just sour with life, and this old man is one of them, I would just tell him, what's wrong can't remember when you were this age? a rowdy kid is a healthy one!

Answer by older at 8:23 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I've had similar situations. What's funny is that I have apologized to people before for the kids being so crazy in a restaurant and most moms willl tell me it's fine. They tell me that they've been there or that it doesn't bother them, etc. For the older generation, you're never going to get them to understand. They were born in a different time and they forgot what's it like to have kids. I've never had a real confrontation in public, because most people just give you looks. I've been so tempted to just say what are you looking at really loud so everybody can here and they'll be embarassed. I did have a confrontation with an older couple once when the man said something nasty about my son. He was 4 or 5 at the time and he is HFA. I quietly went over to the couple and nicely said to them that he had Autism. The man didn't look at me or even acknowledge me. The woman asked me what I said. I told her and she said Oh.
    caseypixie

Answer by caseypixie at 8:27 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I'd have been polite and asked them to please back off. I'd then have asked the restaurant to please reseat me elsewhere away from them. There's no point in letting them ruin your meal!
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 8:28 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• People need to learn that children are children, not small adults.As long as they aren't being completely out of controll, people need to get over themselves.
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 8:47 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• It depends on how rowdy the kids were being. If they were truly being disruptive, I would have apologized for the behavior and said we're working on it. If my kids were not being particularly loud or doing anything to warrant a stranger commenting on it, I probably would have told the people that they need to be a little more tolerant and that if dead silence was what they were looking for, then they probably should have stayed home for their meal.

I totally see both sides of the issue and ultimately, it comes down to whether the children were completely out of line or not.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 8:53 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• i wouLd have Let them start acting up again.i mean its not Like they were getting compLeteLy out of controL and you handLed it.. so i wouLd've said oKay Kids have fun andi wouLd have sat there and enJoyed it. thats just me though im a bitch LOL
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 8:22 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• A big F*** You would have flown out of my mouth before I even thought about it. I had a lady give my daughter a look the other day and I told my kid not stare at ugly people anymore because she might throw up. My kids have never misbehaved enough to excuse a comment though.
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 8:26 AM on Feb. 15, 2011