Bad Words

My son has recetly started using bad lauguage...we recived a note from his teacher that he recently told a little girl to shut the h*** up becuse she was crying...at home he has never been heard by myself but my mother and brothers have heard him say damit ...i dont know exatly where he picked these words up but my question is how to i convey to him that this words are not ok to use? Keeping in mind that i do not beleive in spanking him ...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:25 PM on Nov. 17, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• i am a preschool teacher. i have tried EVERYTHING. the two that i have found that work the best are TOTALLY TOTALLY ignoring it. that way you give the word NO power. and if that does not work, send him to the bathroom. if he wants to use potty talk, he can use it in the bathroom. by himself. for 5 minutes.
    trepsica

Answer by trepsica at 11:45 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• My daughter is only 3 and she has said things like "what the hell" or "oh damn it" and much to my discredit I know exactly where she has heard them. I can't be too upset with her being that she is repeating what she has heard, so when she says it I just say "______ (whatever word she used) is a naughty word. We should say _______ (insert something appropriate)." She usually just says "ok, ____ is a naughty word and we don't say it". Maybe since yours is a little older you can talk and reason more that it might hurt other people's feelings or that they might think those are mean words.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 11:47 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• First of all Do u cuss in front of him? They hear more than u think. How old is he? You just have to sit face to face with him and tell him that Jesus doesn't like those words. That they r bad words and if u don't cuss listen to who does around him. And let them know that he has picked these words up from them and see if things change. If not then limit the time they r around them, but make sure every time that it is said that u address it with him so he know's what r good and bad words because to him they r just words!
    supermomof924

Answer by supermomof924 at 11:49 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• Ignore it. Little kids say these words to get a reaction. If they don't get one then it's simply not as fun anymore. Also, try not to curse around him so he won't hear them and pick them up.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 11:36 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Oh, I'm there with 'ya. My little one learned shut up from his cousins when he was barely two, and we STILL cannot break him of it. We have tried ignoring it, time out, washing his mouth with soap, hot sauce on his tongue... Everything has backfired. He likes spicy food now. He even went to the fridge, took out the hot sauce, and said, "Mom, I want to say a mean word and get some hot sauce." The little bugger!

kathy5980

Answer by kathy5980 at 1:20 AM on Nov. 25, 2008