Can someone explain to me please

Why it is people treat you like crap growing up all through school and everything and 15 years later when you happen to run into them in a store or some thing they act like you are a long lost friend. Why do people this?

Christmaslver68

Asked by Christmaslver68 at 8:23 AM on Feb. 15, 2011 in Relationships

• People don't think what they did in childhood affects people when they get older. I've been scarred for life for all the teasing I got in school. It forever changed who I was and killed my self-esteem. My brother is 3 years older than me and he used to pick on me a lot. When I brought that up to him a few years ago, his response was that it was a long time ago. He couldn't believe I was bringing it up. They just don't get it. The best thing I ever did to stop this trend was when a kid from grammar school ask me to be a friend on Facebook. I responded by being sarcastic at first. I asked him if he was kidding. That with the way he teased me and abused me in school, he wants to be my friend now. You thought he would have responded with an apology, but I guess he was confused aand though I was crazy!
    caseypixie

Answer by caseypixie at 8:47 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Because they grew up?

I've run into people that bullied me in high school (one actually applied for a job working for me, LOL), and they act like we were friends. I'm polite, and escape as soon as I can. I was raised very poor. I'm successful now. If I wasn't good enough for them in school, I don't have any interest in a relationship with them now.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:27 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• They have more life experience and are perhaps embarrassed about the past!
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 8:30 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I agree that they maybe they just grew up and stuff. But I also believe that MAYBE, some were just totally deluded about their lives in High school. ("What? I never did that. I was nice.")

My SO had horrible bullies =( And they just don't seem to "remember" how they were to him in high school.
    r.e.l.s.m.o.m.

Answer by r.e.l.s.m.o.m. at 8:32 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• In high school they're stupid teenagers.  Fifteen years later they are mature adults.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 8:37 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Maybe because they have grown up and arent the same kids they were 15 yrs before? I always figure people are trying to be friendly and reconnect with those they went to school with. If you still are angry with them about what happened 15 years earlier then you can always tell them you have no interest in being friendly with them and why.

Answer by gemgem at 8:25 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• There is something magical about re living your youth, but I know what you mean!

Answer by older at 8:25 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Because it's the friendly thing to do and they probably forgot. I can't remember what I did last week so I certainly can't remember how I acted to each person from highschool 15 years ago.
    ConcernedMom141

Answer by ConcernedMom141 at 8:36 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Because that's the past, and they're grown up now.
    CABlonde

Answer by CABlonde at 8:39 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• because that person is not a high schooler anymore
    be glad they are not, some adults still act as though they are on a playground in middle school
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 8:46 AM on Feb. 15, 2011