my 2 year old freaks out when ever we try to wipe his face

lets say he just got done eating and hes got a messy face or he just has a runny nose so we go to wipe it and he totaly freaks out! yells cries trys to hit anythig he can do to get away. but he never goes away with a messy face lol. so anyways is this a normal thing brought on by the "terrible twos"?

brittyboop

Asked by brittyboop at 11:27 PM on Nov. 17, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Very normal. I don't know too many kids in general that like to have their faces wiped. :o) He will grow out of it around the age of 6yrs old when he can actually clean his own face. LOL Hang in there.

Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 11:44 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• My son used to hate that as well. Do you just go at him trying to aggressively wipe his face or do you ask/tell him nicely what's about to happen. I read somewhere to think about what you're doing from your child's perspective. How would you feel if someone just grabbed you and started wiping your face or changing your clothes or pulled you away from a book to go somewhere? Once we're all done eating I will tell my son that his hands and face need to get wiped off. He always lets me do the hands no issue. I use baby wipes on his face so it's nice and soft. I wipe firmly, but quickly and praise him the whole time (Thank you for letting me wipe your face, good job, you're being a big boy, etc). I will also place the wipe in his hand so he thinks he's wiping his own face. He's 21mo and doesn't fight us anymore...
    roxy85

Answer by roxy85 at 6:16 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Can you make a game out of it? My kids didn't like it either and then I took the washcloth and wrapped it over my hand kind of as a puppet and I say "Me want face, me want face!" in a silly voice and they crack up laughing and are happy to have their faces wiped.
    DawnA72

Answer by DawnA72 at 8:32 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• You may be doing it to hard!!!!
    Connersmom9956

Answer by Connersmom9956 at 10:09 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• we tell him we are going to wipe it and no we dont do it hard!
    brittyboop

Answer by brittyboop at 4:51 PM on Nov. 18, 2008