Why does my daughter scream in the bath?

Until she was about a year old she loved baths. Now everytime I put her in she acts like it's chinese torture. I am not kidding!! I don't understand, she won't sit down she won't stop crying. I dread bath time now too. I tried special toys and I have tried using different bath tubs (mine vs. hers). Nothing seems to work, do you think something happened to her in the tub? Or is this just a phase?

marriedw6kids

Asked by marriedw6kids at 11:32 PM on Nov. 17, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Not sure, but you can buy water changing tablets. Maybe you can show her magic and let her put one in. GOOD LUCK
    racingmomma

Answer by racingmomma at 11:42 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• Bath crayons are fun too. Maybe the water is too cold, especially now that it's getting cooler outside? My DD hated baths at first, turns out she was cold.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 11:48 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• The temperature could be a big deal. Or she could have gotten some soap in her eyes. Even though some of those say they are tear free, they can still sting. I like Johnson and Johnson. I've heard the huggies bath soap stings their eyes.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:22 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Its a phase most likely. Roo goes through them every couple weeks for about a week. We're in one now. We just put her in the tub, bathe her, give her toys and pretty much act like she isn't screaming her lungs out other than to say things like "its okay sweetie...look! Do you want your crayons?" or to show her toys. By the time she's all cleaned up she's stopped screaming and either asks to get out or starts playing.
    jaycee1124

Answer by jaycee1124 at 10:00 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Most likely it is a phase. She will not be 14 and refusing to shower. So think about what is your end goal? Your end goal is to have her clean. So there is more than one way to have that happen. Sponge baths and have her help wipe herself off like a big girl. Many cleaners can be used for that purpose, Cetaphil is good. Sometimes she will need an actual bath from head to toe. When she screams just ignore it. Prepare her that she is getting a bath. Let her pick her towel, her clothes for after the bath, and even the soap or washchoth to be used. Let her take ownership of it. She also is in charge of her feelings so if she cries that is her right to feel bad. Take a few baths yourself and let her watch. Role modeling is always a winner at this age.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:32 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• I am having a similar issue....However, it finally hit me that my son is petrified to be out of the seat that I've used for him for months....I try to sit him directly in the bathtub and he freaks out....
    The seat is a security blanket for him while in the bath....GREAT..now what????
    Rickysmom507

Answer by Rickysmom507 at 11:45 AM on Nov. 18, 2008