Save NPR and PBS (Again)

http://pol.moveon.org/nprpbs/?rc=fb.ads.ck.npr.PBS.P.FB.17.fb.share.5.taf.alt.5

With Republicans back in charge of the House of Representatives, funding for NPR and PBS is in grave danger. Again.

The Republicans just released their budget proposal, and it zeroes out funding for both NPR and PBS--the worst proposal in more than a decade.

We need to tell Republicans that cutting off funding was unacceptable last time they were in charge, and it's unacceptable now.

A compiled petition with your individual comment will be presented to your Senators and Representative.

Dalimonster

Asked by Dalimonster at 8:54 AM on Feb. 15, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I'm a conservative, and also an avid listener of NPR; I pledge money every year, and really enjoy a lot of the programming. (All Things Considered is my personal favorite.)

That being said, I HATE the left-wing slant (and often omissions of any other point of view) they carry with their news. I'll turn the station. If they are going to receive government funding, they need to present all sides of a debate topic or the news, and be truly bi-partisan. I'd hate to see NPR go, but if they can't present all sides I fully support pulling government funding.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:00 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I hear you Scuba. I don't really listen to NPR. But I do watch PBS with my DD2. I would hate for that to go away.
    Dalimonster

Comment by Dalimonster (original poster) at 9:03 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• LOL NOT!
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:03 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• – collapse

I listen all the time too and I see no slant. Maybe you are so far to the right that the center seems left leaning to you at this point.?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:04 AM on Feb. 15, 2011 (hidden) + expand

• Partisan politics has no place for taxpayer funding.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 9:08 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• For me everything changes and if PBS and NPR go by the wayside then it is just the way it is. I dont watch or listen to either. We actually have our own pbs type channel that is funded by our local college. The kids involved in a certain degree decide what is on it, and it is funded by donations and the school itself. We get variois learning cartoons, local news and things like that on it. I have a feeling if PBS and NPR go by the wayside then itll be these sorts of channels popping up more and more, and frankly Id rather support the local colleges.

Answer by gemgem at 9:09 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I love PBS. If it has to go, it has to go.
    IMO PBS and NPR should have been cut two years ago.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:22 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I like NPR and PBS, and I don't see any slant left or right. I think it's one of the least partisan of all the news sources.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 9:33 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I listen to NPR all day at work and most of the day on the weekends. I've got to disagree with you OP...they usually always share both sides of the story and when they don't listeners call them out and more often then not they do a follow-up story that adresses the complaints. Even today when they are doing a piece about the potential funding cut they will be presenting an argurment for public funding and one against.

I also watch PBS almost exclusively. I love the nature show on Sunday nights, and pretty much every documentary they show during the week. DS also enjoys the children's programing, aside form Little Bears it's all he watches.

It's sooooooo important to have media that isn't accountable to shareholders or ratings, i think it would be devistating if CPB went away. :(
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 9:45 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• It's time to make cuts, serious cuts. The fluff must go. If it's not necessary to the survival of our government, out it goes. I love PBS. I watched Sesame Street from the beginning in 1969. Mr. Rogers was the neighbor I knew would be there as we traveled from military station to station. But now we are severely in debt. The luxury items must go, and as much as we love them, these are luxury items.

If the people want PBS and NPR to stay, they can continue to fund these items with personal donations.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 10:08 AM on Feb. 15, 2011