Help with a eight year old boy (a little long..)

Need some help ladies.. My son is eight right now.. But since he was in kindergarten he would get into trouble.. Then it continued into first grade.. He would get sent home alot.. Some days would be fine and others no.. He would have tantrums and a couple of times the school would have to shut down in order to get my son into another room.. I have since taken him out of school to home school him.. but I feel that he would do better in school..I did try counseling but that was not working all he wanted to do was play and I don't feel spending all that money on him playing was helping because he would have outburst at home.. I try my hardest to help him but I'm stuck.. I would like to get him on medicine to help him calm down.. I was hoping if anyone else was going through this what has helped you with you son or daughter..

AJMcGuire

Asked by AJMcGuire at 9:03 AM on Feb. 15, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I would seriously try counseling again. You would be amazed at how much good just playing can do. It just takes time.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 2:48 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Has he been tested?
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:08 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Have your son evaluated, try counseling again (and practice the techniques given by the therapist at home) and ask your child's doctor if he/she thinks meds would be helpful or not. A lot of the time meds are given in addition to therapy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:08 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Yes has been tested and he doesn't have adhd.. Its more the depression/anxiety at school.
    AJMcGuire

Comment by AJMcGuire (original poster) at 9:09 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Did the counselor give you an idea of what your son would need to be successful at school? Can you have an IEP drafted? Honestly I think your best bet is to get a medical opinion - and if you're not seeing progress with the first, try a 2nd. Does he have sensory issues? Is there a
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 11:59 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Just wondering, if he has depression and anxiety issues at school, why do you think he would do better in school if he has been struggling for 3+ years now? I would suggest that you continue homeschool and try cutting certain things out of his diet to see if that helps with his behavior. I would also suggest seeing a naturopath dr. They would be able to get you on a good track to seeing if certain foods are triggering these behavior issue. Such has cutting out sugar, red dye, wheat/gluetin, etc....
    Anonymous

• I have a friend who has a child with similar issues and they see a counselor who specializes in those areas and practice relaxing techniques, perhaps have them do some activities that seems to calm him down during the day.
    AlyssaN

Answer by AlyssaN at 4:37 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I would like him to return to school because homeschooling is not helping him either.. The counselors techniques were not working for him.. He had ihe draft before i took him out but it worked for a little while and then stooped.
    AJMcGuire

Comment by AJMcGuire (original poster) at 4:41 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• You need to go to family counseling. I remember another post you made about your other son who lives with his dad and it seems like things are difficult in your family. If your older son is living away from you I'm sure that affects his brother. I think it would help your son a lot if you and other people in your family participated in the counseling. Maybe there are some changes you need to make.
    Anonymous

• Well. idk what problems he was getting into. But my son have been having problems too, he wasn't aggressive, but to concerned of what happens to the other kids, he wants to help others instead of staying on task. So when he finished K his teacher told me that he has to work on staying on task, and sitting down. We did work on it at home over the summer and things were fine. When he started 1st grade, i was told by many moms that his teacher was very hard to communicate with very strange. But i didn't listen, i thought maybe that will be good for my son, i gave him the benefit of a doubt. Things wasn't working, as i pass by the classroom i hear yelling and screaming, very noisy. And it has only gotten worse..... He also went to the Dr, but he did not have ADHD nor ADD.
    I just talked to a herbalist, and she has recommended Passion flower extract, and O-Mega. So i'm going to try that tomorrow!
    Actress-mom81

Answer by Actress-mom81 at 8:48 PM on Feb. 17, 2011