When love triumphs, self sacrifice is no longer painful.

So I heard a woman say this last night, and I thought about if for a couple hours, and she is right I believe. Even with small things, like being a mom-it doesn't hurt to feed to your kids first while you go without, or it's not so bad to help someone in need even though you yourself are going without something you need at the moment.
What do you think on this statement she made? Have you seen it for yourself yet?

jewjewbee

Asked by jewjewbee at 9:12 AM on Feb. 15, 2011 in Religious Debate

• Absolutely! To live in abundance, we must fully give of our lives to others.
    liteofmine71

Answer by liteofmine71 at 9:17 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Pam, I agree it can be one sided but I feel that if love triumphed then everyone in the situation would be self sacrificing to help each other before ones self. So everyone would be taken care of fully.
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 9:38 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I totally agree with the woman, I do this all the time, take from me, for others, it is very rewarding in itself.

Answer by older at 9:14 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I think that way of thinking is why so many codependents stay in abusive relationships
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:16 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I agree with it.
    tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 9:18 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I agree. When I do something out of love, I really don't think of the sacrifice. I recieve joy by helping others because even something that might not take much from me can mean the world to someone else. I also think that even something as simple as smiling at someone when you don't feel like smiling, or being patient when you're in a hurry or have had a rough day can help others and can bless someone tremendously. You never know when someone else is feeling the same way and your act just lifted their spirit. Also, I believe these kinds of acts actually refresh us instead of drain us :) Thanks for sharing!
    kittieashy

Answer by kittieashy at 9:46 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• To some degree, I do agree with that, but I hesitate to say I fully agree. I usually fix my child's meal first, and offer him the 'best' pieces and cut it up so he's less likely to choke, etc. So, in that way (and other examples) I usually make sure his needs are met before my own. When he was a baby, I wasn't getting enough sleep or eating enough, and that made it hard to take care of him. Self-sacrifice may be self-less and loving to an extent, but it might get to a point that you can't really care for someone else if you weren't taking care of yourself too. I guess I believe you have to have some balance, but it's generally good to put your loved ones needs first. I'm a better mom when I get adequate sleep, exercise, and eat properly myself. I have more to give that way.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 9:23 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I agree 100%. At the same time though, I wonder how many of us can honestly say we sacrificed something for a loved one. Like, I agree with everything kittieashy said, but I don't look at smiling or patience as being sacrifical. I mean, when the rubber meets the road, what have we truly sacrificed for somebody else? Hmm...that might not be a bad spin-off question.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 9:59 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Agreed!!!
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 10:09 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Im with Kittieshy.. I see it as a gift of love to give.....
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 10:43 AM on Feb. 15, 2011