How far is it reasonable to ask a 4 year old to travel in a car in one day?

tootoobusy

Asked by tootoobusy at 9:16 AM on Feb. 15, 2011 in Travel

• As long as you take little stretch breaks, I would say 6 hrs. Including DVDs or iPad.
    liteofmine71

Answer by liteofmine71 at 9:18 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• My DD2 traveled 6 hours with 1 stop half way and she was fine. A bit fussy by the time we got to the destination. I wish we had stopped twice. No DVDs or iPad. We had music in the car and we played games.
    Dalimonster

Answer by Dalimonster at 9:21 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• When our son was this age, we would usually either leave really early in the morning or late at night so he could sleep most of the time. We have driven as much as 8-9 hours, with DVD & other stuff along with a 2-3 breaks. We also made sure to put a cooler or something in the well under his feet so his little legs wouldn't have to dangle for that many hours.
    sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 9:42 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• yes- try and do the driving at night so he will sleep- We had our kids actually sleep 12 hours! we left Disney at 8 pm after a shower and all day at the parks- put them in Pj's and they slept until noon the next day as we drove. they didn't even wake for gas- I had to check and make sure they were breathing LOL
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 11:08 AM on Feb. 15, 2011