How do i help my 6 yr old get accustom to being a sibiling of 4 from being an only child for so long?

my daughter has been an only child and then the baby at her fathers house to now being the oldest out of 4 right now and im pregnant with number 5.. shes ok with the second oldest child but other then that she picks and chooses what days shes going to be nice to the rest of the kids. please if there is a way to help me get threw this and to help her adjust.

B_Marie

Asked by B_Marie at 9:29 AM on Feb. 15, 2011 in General Parenting

• Did you remarry into a family of 3 kids?
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:45 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• You need to give them all one on one time with you and your SO. And make sure your 6 year old doesn't feel replaced. Plus spend time playing with all of them together so they learn to interact ...........in group games, activities, etc. Work extra hard to see that they all have fun and enjoy being a family. It is a difficult transition but it can be done and work out. It is up to you to see that it goes smoothly. I wish you all the best
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:48 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• yes .. well im ingaged we are getting married next yr but we feel married already...and thank you ill do more to try the one on one time because when we do group things shes fine and everyone has fun but i think we do more group then singles.
    B_Marie

Comment by B_Marie (original poster) at 9:52 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Also reward her good behavior , lavish on her praising her, and time outs for bad behavior. Seems like a lot of kids hate that punishment.
    Baby4us09

Answer by Baby4us09 at 11:09 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Well, to be honest that sounds like my 6 yr old. In general he is a very kind and loving brother. He has been their right from the start with all his siblings, he was at the birth of all but one. Him and second oldest are best friends, but with the rest, he plays favorites day to day.

If she is not bieng "nice" then that is where discipline comes in. Regardless of her feelings, she needs to be nice and respectful.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 11:17 AM on Feb. 15, 2011