Does your child have any annoying habits?

My 2yo DD keeps picking at her lip until it bleeds. GRR! It makes me so mad. She has gorgeous little full lips that I could never have. (Lucky, haha!) I try to keep them moisturized often (since they tend to get chapped). But they dry out so much that I don't always notice when she's sitting there picking at them. At least until she runs up to me "Mommy look!" Bloody fingers and all. GAAH! Typing it out sounds so gruesome.

I'm trying to be consistent and to keep telling her not to do it when I catch her. She seems to be doing it less often now, so it must be working :O <-- shocked face. I even find her telling herself not to do it as she starts. It's kind of cute. "No don't do it hand (holding her hand back)! stop it!" I hope that's not something to be worried about in the future O__o i'm sure it's not.

Anyway.. does your kid have annoying/disgusting/weird habits too? What do you do?

r.e.l.s.m.o.m.

Asked by r.e.l.s.m.o.m. at 9:40 AM on Feb. 15, 2011 in General Parenting

• Yes! My son licks and sucks his bottom lip until its so dried out it is red and crusty looking. i think he may do it in his sleep or at school because he knows not to do it in front of me.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:44 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Oh my husband does that, pisses me off. As for my son he likes to shake his milk out of his sippy cup and turn over his plate or bowl when he's done eating no matter how much food or sauce is on it.
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 9:45 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Oh also, my daughter grinds her teeth... it bothers her father more than it bothers me. I just tell her to stop because i don't want her to have dental issues when she's older.

r.e.l.s.m.o.m.

Comment by r.e.l.s.m.o.m. (original poster) at 9:47 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• It's not really annoying so much as embarrasing. My 4yo DS has been watching Land before time and now walks around the place acting like a t-rex. not just at home but at the store, and daycare. Everywhere! People laugh and say cute, but its getting embarrasing for me. He doesnt talk to people, he answers with a roar, he holds his hands up close to his body (for tiny arms) and stomps around the place making faces and growling.
    I really Really REALLY hope this is just a faze that he will grow out of like the time he had an imaginary komodo dragon
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 10:28 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• My son has two annoying habits. He picks his nose (yuck!) and bites his finger and sometimes, his toe nails! SO GROSS!! He rarely bites on his toenails anymore, I try to keep socks and shoes on him so he doesn't. But the fingernail biting is hard to break. The nose picking is even harder to break! After much trial and error I got some nail biting stuff that tastes awful and it actually works. So mostly he doesn't do that so much anymore. But the nose picking I am at a loss. I have tried to just ignore it like it is no big deal, hoping if I don't make a big deal about it, he would quit, but that didn't work. I tried getting after him everytime and telling him how gross and how many germs there are up his nose, he asked me 'how do you know?'lol... hes 3. So I try to just keep reminding him to use a tissue instead of his fingers. I seriously hope this stops soon. It is so gross!!
    Blakesmommy0907

Answer by Blakesmommy0907 at 10:56 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I have a daughter that bites and picks at her nails. IRRITATES ME! Gets it from father.
    Baby4us09

Answer by Baby4us09 at 11:06 AM on Feb. 15, 2011