If you could afford it, would you send your child to private school. Or do you think your public school offers an equal or better education.

Expand with your reasons if you like.

tootoobusy

Asked by tootoobusy at 9:40 AM on Feb. 15, 2011 in

• not all public/ all private are equal - i could name a few public that are better than private schools... it seems like this to me - people who live in the city (aka - for here - with bad schools) prefer private schools.... people who live in nice suburbs prefer the good public schools in their area. i have not really seen a private that wasnt amazingly expensive do well in an area with good public schools. on the other hand, in our city area - the private schools do very well because the public systems are failing.... (also in that area charter schools are big, where as they cannot survive in good school districts.) i went to a great pubic school system - the same for all of k-12, and loved it... my son will begin K next year in our local district that is also very high ranking and safe.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 1:57 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• It depends on the ratings of the school districts. I find more city schools are greatly lacking and a lot of rural schools are up to par with the charter and private schools. Our son is still young but we have talked about getting a nice place downtown which is expensive but we don't think we could do it because of the added costs we would require to send our son to private school.
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 9:43 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• As far as education goes, the public schools here are very good and that's where my kids go. If I had an extra 15K/year I would send them to one of the private schools here in town because I would like my kids to get the religious education offered there in addition to the regular education classes AND knowing a lot of the parents/kids, I know my kids wouldn't be as exposed to rude, trashy music, movies, etc. (not that I allow my kids to listen/watch, but many of the kids at their school do and I would prefer they had a wider circle of friends whose parents had similar views on appropriate material)

Answer by missanc at 9:56 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• We chose a private school. It was a better choice for us and our children. They have small classes, lots of attention and our religious values are applied to not only religion classes but also to secular lessons. And secular lessons, as they get to the older grades (3-5) are sometimes taught in Hebrew. It's wonderful.

I really didn't look at the regular public schools because our oldest was already testing high gifted at 5. We needed a place that was going to challenge him as well as help him to come out of his shell. It worked. The fit has been good for our middle child. We haven't quite decided about our youngest. But he just started this year. We have some time to figure it out.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 9:59 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I choose public school, and know that we will always need to supplement her education at home even if it were private.
    liteofmine71

Answer by liteofmine71 at 9:43 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I like this public school they are in.
    tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 9:44 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• My son's school is just as good, if not better than any of the private schools around here. They offer a wide range of curriculum based on the child's needs and they either go to library, pe, art, or music everyday. Now, if my son went to any other school then I would send him to a private school in a heartbeat (if I could afford it).

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:45 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I won't pay for private school.I find the public schools decent around here, and will send my DD to them. PLUS, I will be involved with her schooling here at home as well. I don't expect the schools to do it ALL when it comes to her education. My role is just as vital.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 9:55 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• ~*Private*~... I made it clear to even my 5 year old's teacher that if I could afford it, I would do private school in a heartbeat!!! The public teachers usually feel stuck where they are since they have no other career options, where as private schools pick the better teachers (and higher pay checks). The curriculum is much higher/better/advanced than a public school… list goes on and on… California Public Schools are already ranked third worst in the entire country, no need to dumb down the kids any further
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 10:18 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Public but our public school gets funding from 2 counties because it is right on the county line. So it can offer things that other area public schools can't. The class sizes are smaller. They still have art. music, and PE along with the regular curriculum. Computers in al the classrooms. When you become a Freshman you get to check out a laptop for the year.
    momof2cuteboys

Answer by momof2cuteboys at 10:38 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

Next question in
School

Next question overall (General Parenting)
Does your child have any annoying habits?