luigi the cat...

alright so this kitten is the first for me, i've never ever in my life have had a kitten, well i've been giving him a bath like one every two weeks is that fine? he smells and i dont like it so i give him a bath.. and how do i get him use to his litter box?

MommaBear1129

Asked by MommaBear1129 at 11:54 PM on Nov. 17, 2008 in Pets

• cats don't need baths that often like dogs do because they groom themselves. Litter box training takes consistency. Take the kitten to the lb as often as you can. When they sniff then climb out, put them back in a few more times. Your kitten will make the connection very quickly. They do not like filthy boxes though so be sure and change it every 3 days so kitty doesnt potty somewhere undesirable (like on your laundry..ewwww). Good luck and congrats!!
    MammaMia72

Answer by MammaMia72 at 11:56 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• alrighty thanks but he seems to love his baths! :D he actually loves water!! :D i thought they hated it!! i dontk now!
    MommaBear1129

Answer by MommaBear1129 at 12:05 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• some cats like the water but be very careful about how many baths he gets and what soap you are using. use one that is made for cats. Too many soap baths can dry out the skin. then you fall into skin problems down the road. Not fun there. if you don't like how he smells it could be the food you are feeding him. the litter box needs to be clean. Take his little paws and scrape the litter to show him what he needs to do. Also he may or may not like the feel of the litter or he may or may not like a hood on the box. I like one b/c the litter stays in the box more. Taking his paws to a scratching post will teach him where to scratch too. make sure he's nuetered before he starts to spray!! they never stop if they start! That is a HORRIBLE SMELL. Godluck.
    just1moment

Answer by just1moment at 4:33 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• haha ok thanks.. but thing is we dont know if its a boy or a girl.. how do you tell?
    MommaBear1129

Answer by MommaBear1129 at 6:16 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Litter training shouldn't be hard, cats WANT to do it...they like to be able to bury their "leavings" and have a spot to do it in. The PP is right, you've just got to be consistent for a week or so, nothing much. I got my kitten when he was 4 or 5 weeks old and he was trained by 6 weeks. As far as baths, do it if he likes it, but its really not necessary...and be careful to make sure he stays warm afterward.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 12:53 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• Well, usually cats don't get or need baths, but I am highly allergic to mine. My vet said it was his feces that I am allergic to since they clean themselves all over. He gets a bath about 1 or 2 time a month and it really helps with my allergies. So, a few times a month will not hurt them, just make sure that you buy the cat shampoo and conditioner. Litter training should be a natural for it. Just take it to the litter box and it will scratch around in it.
    JD08

Answer by JD08 at 2:56 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• Don't give your cat too many baths it is not good for cats to be bathed very often even if you are using a shampoo for cats/kittens. Bathing cats removes all the natural oils on the cats skin. Bathing the kitty too often will dry out the skin and leave your kitty with itchy skin. If anything, you can just wash the kitties feet to get the litter smell of them.
    bookay

Answer by bookay at 9:13 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• It's easier to litter train a kitten if you can lock him in a small area with his litter box (maybe in the bathroom or laundy room). Kittens are like kids sometimes, they get playing and then realize they have to go potty and just go where they are instead of walking themselves to the litter box. If you don't nip it in the bud early, you will end up with a cat that goes where he/she feels like it. I am speaking from experience. My mom used to breed persian kitties years ago, and cats can be a pain if you don't get them to potty where they are suppose to. If you have a large house, you may want to have 2 litter boxes (maybe one up stairs and one down, or one at both ends of the house).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:17 AM on Dec. 11, 2008