How much about your culture, food and traditions you teach your children?

These days is hard to keep traditions and show your kids where they come from. We are Puertoricans and since I have my children we decide to show them our traditions and or language. Been in the ARMY is hard to keep it but you can do it. My children are 12 yrs, 10 yrs and 5 yrs and they know how to speak, read and write Spanish. And help others that need some help (language barriers). We celebrate Christmas the way we do it in our Island Puerto Rico. They love to celebrate the Three Kings.....I don't even send them to school and they can explain to their friends and teacher why they don't go to school. That make so proud because not matter if we are so far or where we go, I will teach, show my children their roots.....I love those people that keep alive their roots and show their kids. Is nothing wrong to keep your culture alive. I will like to see how many of you out there keep their culture alive.

Amyelitza69

Asked by Amyelitza69 at 10:12 AM on Feb. 15, 2011 in Relationships

• I am a Cuban American, and my Cuban roots were very much a part of them growing up, food, the importance of family, the language was the first words they spoke, and I have also taught them to be proud of their roots always, and someday I might travel to Cuba, (when the monster is gone) to show them more....

Answer by older at 10:16 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I understand you. My kids (2 of them) was borne here in New York, and they feel so proud to say they are Puertorican, and when they ask them where they born, they say NY, people look at them....JAJAJA!! Is funny! I had a child that is blond with blue eyes( he is the only one born in Puerto Rico), and one day some one was talking Spanish near him about him, and when he told the person that he know what he was talking in Spanish the person almost faint....JAJAJAJA!!
    Amyelitza69

Comment by Amyelitza69 (original poster) at 10:23 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• We immerse our children in many cultures! My husband is a Caucasian mutt and we don't really know much about his heritage, but I have Costa Rica, Germany, Cherokee, and Creek ancestors. My great-grandfather was 100% Costa Rican. Because we love to travel and we so enjoy numerous cultures our children are exposed to a great deal about many cultures. They are bilingual: Spanish/English. We rarely ever eat "American" food because other cuisines are so much more exciting. Their closets contain traditional clothing from a dozen countries. We teach them about the religions of the world, even though we practice one in particular. We feel it's important to show our children that there are differences but that differences are to be embraced, and learned from, and valued.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 10:25 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Misses Nick, I love the way you show your kids. Me and DH do the same, been in the military we do a lot of travel to different countries and that is what we try to do also, show them the different diversity the world had out there....I love your comment.
    Amyelitza69

Comment by Amyelitza69 (original poster) at 10:34 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I'm Italian and my ex-husband is French. I teach my son as much as I possibly can the Italian culture that I learned growing up. Language, foods, traditions, stories, fables - etc. My ex has never taught my son anything about their French culture, but since I know some of it in regards to food, the language I teach that to him as well.
    rio_burb

Answer by rio_burb at 10:40 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Rio burb, that is good, later on your son will give you thanks for that. Is so nice to show them where there coming from.
    Amyelitza69

Comment by Amyelitza69 (original poster) at 10:43 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• It's hard to cuz I wasn't raised with my people. I was raised as a city indian. It's been hard trying to play catch up learning the ways and traditions as an adult. Bummer.
    TwilightMack

Answer by TwilightMack at 12:03 PM on Feb. 15, 2011