How do I get my 2 mo. old use to drinking breast milk out of a bottle. I go back to work in January and need to get her ready for the sitter giving her a bottle instead of my breast. Please help, I'm getting frusterated

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:13 AM on Nov. 18, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• One of the things I did was introduce the bottle first (which I know is too late) and then did breast. My daughter didnt get nipple confustion at all. I bottle fed for two weeks before doing breast and she took both well. When she started pushing the bottle away, I would always have both prepared and gave her bottle first and then breast when she was almost full. She got used to it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:27 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• I had to try a million different kinds of bottles, but eventually he took to one. The only kind my son liked were the wide Playtex Vent Aire bottles with a slow flow nipple. That's the only bottle he would ever drink out of. He wasn't bottle fed very often at all, but had no problem switching from breast to this particular bottle, but I had to have tried at least 6 different bottles before he took to this one.
    winkie_pinkie

Answer by winkie_pinkie at 12:36 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• make sure somebody else is giving the bottle and if possible while you're not around. take a walk or go to the grocery at feeding time and have daddy, g-ma or friend give the bottle. babies know when mommy is around and would rather eat bobbie that they're used to, then a bottle which is foreign to them. i'd try different one's as well, especially one's made for breastfed babies. my daughter likes the nuk bottles by gerber, but being the greedy little piggy that she is, i think she'd eat out of anything.
    Tarable525

Answer by Tarable525 at 1:33 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• My daughter also uses the playtex ventiare wide nipple bottles. I bought them figuring that it would make for an easy transition from breast to bottle, and she did fine right from the start. I agree with the above most- have somebody else give her the bottle. I had daddy do it....He tried to feed her the same way I do- with skin-to-skin contact, using the boppy, and holding her really close. Also, have whoever gives her the bottle squirt a little bit of milk into her mouth, to show her what she's going to get. And make sure you're not around- she'll smell you! Good luck!
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 1:51 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• A great way to introduce a bottle is to have someone else, like dad or gramma or anyone other than you give the bottle. Because the baby can smell you and your breast milk, and would prefer the farmiliarity of you than the new bottle. And babies can be picky to find a right nipple. So start with one and try it a few times before you let her totally reject it.
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 11:36 AM on Nov. 18, 2008