Science illiteracy

What does it mean to you? Do you think it's a problem with America? Do you consider yourself to be scientifically literate? Are you doing anything to encourage scientific literacy in your child(ren)?

Dr.Donna

Asked by Dr.Donna at 10:36 AM on Feb. 15, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• yes, its a problem. i think the problem is that so many people are taught their religous beliefs from a very young age and the majority of americans are taught that "jesus is the only way"...if they were to believe humans were to evolve then that would be turning their back on jesus..so they don't even want to look into it. they are brainwashed.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 10:41 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• YES I do think it is a problem in America. I am not as scientifically literate as i would like so what i have been doing is I bought some books about science that are i guess middle school level and i have been reading them to dd and answering questions that she has and if i don't know the answer then i look it up and i learn something too but, the books are not too complex for such a young child so its been nice to read them with her!

momofone072506

Answer by momofone072506 at 10:42 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• oh dd is 4 by the way lol
    momofone072506

Answer by momofone072506 at 10:43 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• To me, it primarily means lack of understanding of the scientific method, and hell, yes, I think it's a BIG problem in America. I consider myself to be generally scientifically literate, although "Science" has become such a huge number of distinct areas that I am sure I am completely illiterate in some of them. With my daughter, I do what i can to interest her in observing things, comparing and contrasting, and making hypotheses based on reproducible results.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 10:45 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I think it's the lack of understanding of basic science concepts and how it impacts our everyday lives. I don't think it has anything to do with religion. I have my degree in biopharmaceuticals - which is a mix of multiple chemistry and biology classes. I consider myself highly "science literate". However, I am also a conservative evangelical Christian. Understanding science and scientific processes does not preclude me from being a Christian. Being a Christian does not preclude me from being intelligent in ANY area, including science.
    As far as my kids, I supplement their science curriculum in their classes with trips to different museums, my husbands lab (he's a scientist), and we do home experiments.

Answer by missanc at 10:57 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I do think it's a problem in the US. I'm not totally science illiterate, but I do lack in the science department. I know a lot about forensic science and some basic science. If there is something I don't understand, I will look it up until I have a better understanding.

My son LOVED science, especially weather science and let me tell you, he was very good at it. Better than many of the weather people on the local news. He could accurately predict the hurricane paths 70% of the time and this was BEFORE the weather people gave their predictions. On his end of grade testing, he scored off the charts on science, but totally sucked at math. Weird, don't you think?
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 10:57 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• To me, science illiteracy means you lack an understanding/ knowledge of scientific concepts and processes. I do think it is a problem, but I think that illiteracy in general is a HUGE problem. I've helped tutor children in 7th grade before, and you will not believe how many of them had a 1st-2nd grade reading level. My son isn't quite old enough to understand science yet, but we have been working on the saying the different body parts. I believe education starts at home. I also believe that religion and science can co-exist.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 11:07 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I think it's a huge problem in America. Other countries are kicking our butts when it comes to math and science. And yes, we are trying to teach and encourage enthusiasm for scientific learning. My son is only two, but we already have a lot of scientific and nature books, and we love listening to the They Might Be Giants album 'Here Comes Science'. The first song is called, 'Science is real'. :-) We also have some scientific based flash cards for kids, but we've only used them a few times since he's still so little. He already knows words like rhombus and metamorphosis. I think he gets the water cycle (to some extent), because we were explaining how the vapor in the humidifier was water in gas form and ice is water in solid form, and he repeated it later. Once he's in school, if I feel they are lacking in any subjects that I'm very knowledgeable in, we will probably work on those at home (e.g. evolution, archaeology, etc.)
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 11:42 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• As long as middle school moms continue to tell math teachers that they don't help the kids with their math; they wait until Dad gets home, we will continue to have a problem. Sometimes I am em brassed to be female. I still can't believe how many people in my town have told me (math teacher, counselor, another mom who also thinks it is the stupidest thing she has ever heard) that this is standard operation procedure around here. Disgusting.  If you can't do 8th grade math you should be procreating!

LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 12:43 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Just because one doesn't believe in evolution, doesn't mean they are scientifically illliterate.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 2:17 PM on Feb. 15, 2011