I'm thinking about going back to school.

Right now I am a medical biller/coder and I love my job, but I think I ould go further in a a different career, I'm the mother of two a 3 and 4 year old. I am thinking about going to school to be a pharmacist, the doctor I am working with now thinks it would be a great thing to do. But I really don't know what all this will entail, so if anyone could help me out that would be great. I don't really have anyone else to ask about this.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:43 AM on Feb. 15, 2011 in Money & Work

• Your best bet would be to find the pharmacy school that you want to attend and ask them their requirements. Do they require a chemistry degree? other science related degree? any bachelor's degree? Once you find that info out then you can look at a 4 year college. If you attend a community college and then transfer to a 4 year you will likely add another year on to get your bachelor's degree unless they have a program that allows you to conveniently switch over. Very few community colleges and 4 year colleges have this.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:05 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Just to clarify. Do you want to be a pharmacist or a pharmacist tech?

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:51 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• A pharmacist
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:53 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Do you have any college education? Associates degree, Bachelor's degree? If not then it will take approximately 8 years. 4 years for a bachelor's degree and then you will attend a pharmacy school for another 4 years.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:56 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• No I went to a trade school for medical billing and coding. I called the community college where I live to see if they could give me some insight and the lady just kept trying to get me to go to school to get a certificate to be a pharmacy technician.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:00 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• A pharmacist has a doctoral-level degree, so you're looking at a minimum of 8 years of schooling (4 years for a bachelor's degree and 4 years minimum for your PharmD). As an example, here's the PharmD program at UCSF.

evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 4:35 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• You are about to become a dinosaur. Medical billing and coding will no longer be necessary with EMR.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:10 PM on Feb. 15, 2011