Is it normal for my newborn to sleep so much?

My baby is 5 days old and he only wakes up for some breastfeeding and sometimes when I change him. Then after he eats, he's out again... Just wondering if it's normal for him to be sleeping so much.

MarlyeGirl

Asked by MarlyeGirl at 12:18 AM on Nov. 18, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Very normal. My first child everyone kept telling me how tired I was going to be when he was born because they claimed he was going to keep me up all night. Never happened. He slept 12 hours a night and took 3 naps a day. Very happy baby. He's all grown up now.
    pinkink

Answer by pinkink at 12:20 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Absolutely perfectly normal
    Married2theBest

Answer by Married2theBest at 12:20 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• oh yeah they sleep alllll the time. I would only get worried if hours and hours go by and he doesnt wake up to eat. Otherwise, do as they say and "never wake a sleeping baby".
    MammaMia72

Answer by MammaMia72 at 12:20 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Yep, they like to sleep A LOT at first! Mine wouldn't even wake up to eat, we had to tickle him and strip him down to make him cold so he'd wake up.

Enjoy it hon. Before you know it you'll be chasing him everywhere.
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 12:22 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Yeah, for awhile I had to wake mine up to eat. Eventually they were up every 2 hours! Yay, your baby!!
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 12:25 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Congratulations to your LO and yes very normal. Trust me dont worry about that now. Get you sleep for it wont last too long.
    lilmsnay83

Answer by lilmsnay83 at 12:25 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Ok good, the nurses kept telling excessive sleeping was a bad sign so I was getting nervous!!
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 12:40 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• O yea deffinitly normal mine did nothing but sleep till she was maybe 2 months
    gracie43008

Answer by gracie43008 at 1:12 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Very normal, and sometimes even the nurses don't know what the h3ll they are talking about. Just make sure he doesn't go too long without a feeding.
    katythemm

Answer by katythemm at 1:51 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• So long as you are feeding him every few hours, he is good to go. Newborns sleep about 20 hours a day. Crazy, right? By the time they are about 6 months, though that is down is about 16 hours, so as the others have said, this phase is a luxury. Congratulations to you and your new baby.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 2:19 AM on Nov. 18, 2008