Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

Do you think this is fair?

We have full custody of my DH 10 yr old daughter. We claimed her for taxes last year but her mom wants to this year. (That is in the divorce agreement that she claims every other year but thats when DH didnt have custody and was paying child support)(which his ex does not pay child support and doesnt even take care of her daughter at all we buy EVERYTHING she needs) Anyways she finally got a job but its cash under the table. I thought that you had to pay taxes to claim taxes? I just dont feel its fair that she doesnt support her in anyway and we do but dont get to claim her.

Answer Question

Asked by tomsjennabean at 11:18 AM on Feb. 15, 2011 in General Parenting

Level 11 (561 Credits)
Answers (7)
  • you should be able to claim her if she is living under your roof more than 50% of the time.

    Answer by tnm786 at 11:20 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

  • You are correct. It is not only wrong and unfair. I think it might be illegal.

    Answer by tootoobusy at 11:20 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

  • who ever has full custody should be the only one claiming the child point blank!!!!!

    Answer by kai302 at 11:21 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

  • it does stinK but that is In the divorce decree something they decided on the onIy way he couId change it is go bacK to court. my dh did the same with his ex,but she wouId always hurry and fiIe first so dh never did get to cIaim them sorry good IucK

    Answer by jodi205 at 11:21 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

  • I think that since there has been a change in custody your husband should talk to his lawyer and talk to him/her about claiming the child on taxes see if he can get the taxes agreement changed, and he should also discuss the matter of child support - or her lack of paying child support and see what can be done about that . (also mention her being paid under the table in cash....)

    Answer by MizLee at 11:23 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

  • Usually, it is either whoever the child lives with more then 60% or if it is 50/50, you do trade years, however, you have to go by what is in the court order.

    Answer by JLS2388 at 11:55 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

  • I hope she gets caught cause i believe (not for sure) she is having someone else claim her daughter for her.

    Comment by tomsjennabean (original poster) at 12:51 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.