So, who supported the traditional marriage initiative in California?

Black and Latino Obama voters, according to exit polls.

Here:

California’s black and Latino voters, who turned out in droves for Barack Obama, provided key support for a state ban on same-sex marriage. Christian, married and older voters also helped give the measure the winning edge, according to exit polls for The Associated Press.

Proposition 8 overturns a May California Supreme Court decision legalizing gay nuptials and rewrites the state constitution to define marriage as a union between a man and a woman.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:24 AM on Nov. 18, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• Exit poll data showed seven in 10 black voters and more than half of Latino voters backed the ballot initiative, while whites and Asians were split.

Though blacks and Latinos combined make up less than one-third of California’s electorate, their opposition to same-sex marriage appeared to tip the balance. Both groups decisively backed Obama regardless of their position on the initiative.

Obama has said he is not in favor of gay marriage but supports civil unions. The president-elect opposed Proposition 8.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:25 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Religious voters also were decisive in getting Proposition 8 passed. Of the seven in 10 voters who described themselves as Christian, two-thirds backed the initiative. Ninety percent of voters who said they had no religious affiliation opposed the measure, but they were a much smaller portion of the electorate.

Denise Fernandez, a 57-year-old African-American from Sacramento, said she voted for Obama but felt especially compelled to cast a ballot this year to support Proposition 8.

“I came out because of my religious beliefs. I believe a Christian is held accountable, and we have to make a difference,” Fernandez said.
    Keep this in mind when you hear liberals ranting about the homophobic, intolerant California voters who oppose gay marriage.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:26 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• I VOTED NO ON 8. BECAUSE I DO BELIEVE THEY HAVE THE SAME RIGHT AS ANY STRAIGHT PERSON TO BE HAPPY AND BE MARRIED AND HAVE ALL THE SAME LEGAL RIGHTS. AND PLUS IF WE DONT WERE JUST DISCRIMINATING AGAINST THEM BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT STRAIGHT AND THAT WILL TAKE US BACK A COUPLE HUNDRED YEARS. WHATS NEXT?
    REALLY. PEOPLE. JUST BECAUSE SOMEONE IS GAY IT DOES NOT MEAN THEY DONT DESERVE THE SAME RIGHT AS ANYONE WHO IS STRAIGHT! I'M NOT GOING TO LIE TO YOU, I DONT LOVE GAY PEOPLE BUT AS LONG AS THEY KEEP IT AWAY FROM ME, I'M FINE! BUT YEAH TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTION I DO SUPPORT HOMESEXUALS ON THEIR PURSUIT TO HAPPINESS! :D
    MommaBear1129

Answer by MommaBear1129 at 2:40 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• not me, nor my husband.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 4:32 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• I would have had I lived there.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:52 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Do you know what would end a little thing called the Down Low? Gay marriage. Yep. Safer sex for all.
    21stCenturyMom

Answer by 21stCenturyMom at 9:42 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Who am I to tell two people that love eachother that they cant get married. Straight people dont even have marriage right... how can we tell them how to live?
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 9:17 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• thats true straight people have fucked up marriage than us gay couples not saying for all married but im pretty sure half,we should have the right to live,love just like anyone else its just discrimination on people who dont think its okay. and for that comment about safer sex girl u cant tell me not just gays get diseases you must live in a bubble then.
    mommydmcj

Answer by mommydmcj at 10:46 PM on Nov. 19, 2008