What are the chances of getting a false positive on an at-home pregnancy test?

Elizabeth319

Asked by Elizabeth319 at 11:23 AM on Feb. 15, 2011 in Pregnancy

• If you read it with in the time frame not very likely, I would retest and if it says positive, congrats!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:25 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I didn't think so. I've taken three...the first was negative and the second two were positivie...I didn't know if certain medications or anything could make mess with it. I do a have a doctor appointment today though to find out for sure.
    Elizabeth319

Comment by Elizabeth319 (original poster) at 11:26 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• False negatives are much more common that false positives.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 11:31 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• If the first was negative and the next 2 were positive it is because you are producing more HCG, the pregnancy hormone. You have more each day in early pregnancy and always more in first urine in the morning.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 11:58 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I am going to be a nurse and have ran in to a discussion about this last week--So my answer is accurate.

You are way more likely to get false negatives than a false positives. Pregnancy test claim to be 99 percent accurate. False positive pregnancy tests are rare – though there are instances and conditions where they can occur. First of all Chemical Pregnancy (which is an early miscarriage), Also Missed Reaction Time (which is when you let the test sit longer than the alloted time on the box), Evaporation Lines (which is a faint line second line).

Here are some drugs that can cause false positives.
    HCG (treatments given to people TTC, and trying to lose weight)
    Librium (chlordiazepoxide)
    Phenothiazines and phenothiazine derivatives
    Thorazine (chlorpromazine)
    Diuretics
    Phenergan (Nassau medication)
    Methadone

A blood test is very accurate, however, So you should make an appointment to get an accurate answ
    RiaChristine

Answer by RiaChristine at 11:58 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Thank you very much!!
    Elizabeth319

Comment by Elizabeth319 (original poster) at 12:02 PM on Feb. 15, 2011