Religion and Children

Are you raising your children in a religion? Which one? Do you and the father agree on this? Does it cause problems? If your child/ren would choose a different religion, would you be upset or disappointed or would you be happy that you had raised a child that thinks for itself?

vivc81

Asked by vivc81 at 11:25 AM on Feb. 15, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Yes I am raising my children in a religion. We are Catholic. I dont care what their fathers think, none of them go to church anyway. They have never made an issue of me raising the children in my church. It isnt like I am teaching them something bad by going. One of my sons is currently attending a Christian church with his gf. I have told him my concerns regarding this particular church, and he assured me it has not changed his faith, but he does want to explore the Lutheran church. I gave him my blessing.

Answer by gemgem at 11:27 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• nope! We arent religious. We are raising ds to be a good person, respect nature, respect elders, dont judge a book by its cover....the basic things to teach a child. Very open-minded home! My beliefs are nature-based, SO's beliefs are somewhat atheist/agnostic
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 11:27 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• never never never. that's one of the worst things you can do to a child. it's a decision they need to make when THEY are old enough. you see little kids talking about God and they don't even know what they are talking about. it's just what their parents force on them. religion talk should not be a part of a child's upbringing
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 11:28 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I was raised catholic, but raise my children Christian..My husband doesnt attend as often as I hoped(due to work schedule) but he fully encourages our children to go. I hope I'm creating a family type of atmosphere at our church for our children and hope that would keep them at the church we are raising them in but I guess as long as they were Christian,I would be ok. kids find their way.
    Thoxie

Answer by Thoxie at 11:31 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I am Baptist and I take my children to church with me. I can't leave them home alone now can I? My dh is fine with it since he goes to church too. I do not force my beliefs on anyone including my children. When they are old enough they can make their own decisions whether to come with us or not but as of right now, they come with me.
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 11:33 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I am an atheist, my husband belongs to the Church of Christ. I was educated on religion, and I made the choice for myself that I dont believe in a higher power. I have been to several different kinds of churches and studied extensively about all kinds of religion. I feel that if someone believes, fine. So long as they arent forcing it on me I dont care. I feel that people who dont believe should be educated because it often allows them to respect the beliefs others may have. We will take our son to church, because even though I dont believe, it doesnt hurt me to go in support of my husband.
    ArmyWifeAshlie

Answer by ArmyWifeAshlie at 11:33 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I am raising my children as Wiccans. My husband and I are both Wiccans and we agree. But it does cause problems. My mother in law is Catholic, and she blames me for my husband's leaving the Catholic church, but she tries to take my children to church with her, and has given them the bible and told them to read it, or they will be burned forever. That of course terrified them. I've talked to her about it, but she says she wants to save my children, if I won't. If my children choose a different religion, I would support them, and be happy that they can think for themselves and make their own choices.
    vivc81

Comment by vivc81 (original poster) at 11:33 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• My son is only three so I haven't really started discussing anything of faith with him yet. But my husband and I both agree that we're going to expose him and educate him on all of his options, to the best of our ability, and allow him to decide for himself what most resonates with him. I care more that he's a respectful, compassionate, tolerant being who can think things through and has a passion for searching for truth/understanding than I do about which path he chooses, as long as he truly understands the choice he's making, what he's accepting/rejecting in his choice.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 11:50 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• yes, I am raising my dd as a non-denominational, spirit-filled Christian. She goes to church with me because she can't stay home alone (she's 3). Besides, she loves it! However, I was saved and turned to God not through "religion" but by God loving me and guiding me to Him..in love. "Religion", traditions, rules ALWAYS turned me away. I just do what I do and my dd follows my example. I teach God's love..not wrath. She has seen angels herself and recieves her own revelations about things. I support her in her learning and growth. If she chose to go a different direction I would be sad, but I would love her regardless. Anyway, I have a promise about that and that promise gives me peace :) For me, teaching her about God, Christ, the Holy Spirit (well, we haven't really gone there because of her age), but the things of the bible are just as significant and important as teaching her about our culture.
    kittieashy

Answer by kittieashy at 11:56 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I don't know what to believe myself so therefor I don't know what to teach them. My husband doesn't really care one way or another, but I do. Just don't really know which direction to take.
    TwilightMack

Answer by TwilightMack at 12:12 PM on Feb. 15, 2011