I know this is going to raise a lot of hell, but is there a "modest" way to breastfeed in public?

I by all means don't want to start a fight....but is there a "modest" form of breastfeeding?
I do believe there is nothing wrong with breastfeeding your child in public....not on a toilet in the bathroom, or having to go out to the car.
When breastfeeding in public do you think there is a "modesty" standard that women should agree on?

****My personal belief is, breastfeed in public, but you should be draped with even just a light sheet like something or other lol***************

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:26 AM on Feb. 15, 2011 in General Parenting

• I believe you can breast feed in public but that you should cover up and do it in modesty too. Some people are going to be turned off by it but if your baby is hungry you don't have much of a choice but to feed him or her.
    kim0167

Answer by kim0167 at 11:40 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I think using a nursing cover is a good idea.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 11:28 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Modesty is in the eye of the beholder. I find covers are actually more apt to get attention. I never covered... no one could see a thing and no one ever noticed me.

But then, I don't believe in "modesty" anyway. It's a breast. Big deal. Breast = elbow in my head. (And no, I woudn't be bothered by someone peeing in public either, as long as they're not doing it on a table.)

Answer by gdiamante at 11:28 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• well, its my personal belief that people who cant handle seeing a woman breastfeed need to wear covers over their own heads. if it is just a matter of being "modest" about getting baby to latch on, thats one thing. but once baby is latched and eating, you cant see anything but the top part of her breast-skin. there is more skin visible in a tramp wearing a itty bitty bikini.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:33 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I am sure there are a ton of ways but I know I would not be able to eat with a blanket or sheet over my head, so why would I expect an infant too?! I would rather just go to the moms room or even back to the car if it were really and issue.
    mslksdh

Answer by mslksdh at 11:31 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• The sickos are turned on the second they see you. They don't need to see an inch of skin.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:37 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• dont compare peeing to breastfeeding. one is disgusting and the other is not. masturbating is natural too, but again, that is not a correct comparison to breastfeeding.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:37 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I think we all have to work with our own experiences and comfort levels. I'm not bothered by much. Certainly not by flesh of any kind.

I find covers to be more attention-attracting. Once watched a group of teen boys intently watching a covered nursing mom to see if she showed anything. I was closer, NOT covered... they didn't realize I was nursing!

If you wear untucked shirts that you pull UP, never ever pull clothes down, you have no need of a cover. I've seen "covered" moms showing more than I ever did. The trick is to learn to latch without ever looking at what you're doing. Takes practice but it's doable.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:45 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• "then it really doesn't matter what we do? the whole human body is natural. why do we wear clothes? "

To protect yourself from the elements. Be it sun or wind or rain.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:46 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• When I was breastfeeding, I was able to just pull up my shirt and nurse without showing ANYTHING!!! My babies didn't like eating under a blanket. My best friend always covers up with a blanket, when she's in public or even when she's at my house. It doesn't bother me when she's NOT covered, like when it's just me with her. I watched her give birth so I've seen everything and then some, lol!! I don't think a woman should just whip everything out, but there are ways to nurse discreetly without using a blanket.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 11:49 AM on Feb. 15, 2011