Am I wrong to expect my DD's to keep their room clean??

They are 4 yrs and 3 yrs and they absolutly do NOT keep their room clean (they share a room). I will clean it for them 2-3 times a week so that they can see how it looks when it is clean and what i expect them to do. They dont even try to clean it.

How old were your kids when they could clean up their room?

L0vingMy3Girls

Asked by L0vingMy3Girls at 11:29 AM on Feb. 15, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I have 3 girls my oldest didnt start cleaning her room till she was 5yr. and now she is 9 yr. and I got to tell her all the time to pick up her room...my other two are 4 yr and 18 months and they share a room..I clean there room everyday...I tell my 4 yr to clean it but its just a fight with her so I got to the point well if you want to paint or play with play dough yoou need to clean up your room and it works but I will also help her out a lil bc its not just her mess...you can try that and see if it works...
    dont let them do some things unless there rooms are cleaned up...I hope this help...oh tell them you dont pick up you dont paint or what ever the thing is that they want to do....GOOD LUCK MAMA
    Mamato2angels

Answer by Mamato2angels at 11:37 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I think they are much too young to be expected to keep their room clean. They are old enough to help you pick up and even help you clean, but I don't believe they yet have the capability of doing it all by themselves.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 11:37 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• You can work with them and show them what you want. But actually do it with them so they learn. They are too young to be told "go clean you room" IMO
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 12:33 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• my baby sister was cleaning her room at 4. she didn't like it but i was a rule that had to be followed
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 11:31 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Heh heh heh... I'm 47 and am not into the clean room thing! Can't get my 51 year old husband to clean either.

You're not wrong to expect it... but you may need to re-think your standards to get them to do it. Forget spotless.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:33 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• You arent wrong to expect it, but they probably wont really become good cleaners until they are older. My kids never really got their rooms as clean as I could.

Answer by gemgem at 11:36 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• You should make them pick up their toys with you. You shouldn't do it by yourself or they will never learn. GL
    aheuszel

Answer by aheuszel at 11:39 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I think at 3 and 4 they still need some help or motivation, but in time it will become automatic if you keep working on it. I don't think you can expect them to do everything without any effort (checking up, reminders, etc.) on your part. With my twins I limit the amount of stuff they can have out at one time, because if they have access to everything then everything is out and cleanup is overwhelming. I put their toys in plastic bins and lock them in the closet. I let them have only a few bins out at a time, and if they want something different they have to pick up something that is already out first. Also, if I know they didn't hang their jackets up or put away their shoes, I wait until they ask me for something and tell them I'll be happy to get it for them when their jackets and shoes are where they belong.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 11:43 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• i started having my dd now 4 helping me clean her room at 3 even if i did most of the work i would have her do 1 thing like pick up the books even is she just put them in a pile for me. I would then increase it to 2 things and so on. She now cleans her room by herslef and is always helping me clean.
    tomsjennabean

Answer by tomsjennabean at 11:46 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I think they are far too young for this to be an expectation. At the very least you should be helping them every time, even if it's just to sit on the floor and direct them what to pick up and how to make the bed.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 11:52 AM on Feb. 15, 2011