Mental health

ok my husband is at the end of his rope and is having a breakdown. i understand this and i truely want to help him get through this. in his mind there to him feels like a constant ringing that takes at least a week of peace and quiet to stop. with two kids under 5 and everything else going on he feels like he is banging his head against the wall. as i do too. he is a veteran so there is options for him. we also own a property elsewhere that he would be able to get peace but it is not a livable property at this time
(not insulated and 15 feet of snow and freezing conditions with no water or electric turned on at this point due to winter and renivations)
he could also go through the VA and go into inpatient psyc for a month. he would rather go to the other property but because of the condition of it at this time it would not be a good thing.
what can i do to give him that peace and quiet so that he is able to stop the "ringing" and reassese his life and choices? would it be better for him to go to the other property or to the VA.
problem with the VA if you know anything about it is that they would very well love to drug him up for the whole month and just talk. medication in our eyes isnt the solution.
please help.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:41 AM on Feb. 15, 2011 in Health

• What hes going through isnt something to dismiss and think just peace and quiet will fix, when so far it hasnt. If it keeps coming back nothing has been "fixed". He needs to go to the VA and have them run whatever tests need to be run. For all you know the ringing could be something alot more serious then nerves, like a tumor (God forbid). I would encourage him to get the help he needs. Medication isnt always wrong either, some people do need to be on it. I have PTSD and severe anxiety involved and have to take medicine every day some times, other times I am good for months. Get your husband the help he needs and deserves.

Answer by gemgem at 11:50 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I would take him to the VA. Just because you dont THINK medication isnt the solution doesnt mean it isnt. He could have a TBI or PTSD if he's having a constant ringing or noise in his head. I would really recomend the VA as they are equipped to deal with veterans. Good luck.
    ArmyWifeAshlie

Answer by ArmyWifeAshlie at 11:43 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• THERE IS NO SHAME IN HAVING TO TAKE MEDICATION FOR DEPRESSION!
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 11:47 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• he has ptsd we know this as well as anxiety. as well as alot and i mean ALOT of pain. so he is on antidepressants and pain meds. along with all this he does have tinnitus in his ears but the "ringing" isnt so much the tinnitus as much as mental ringing. and in the past just having a week to unload in a quiet place to let him reflect and relax has helped.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:48 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Thats good that he's trying to figure it out, again TBI's are dramatically under diagnosed. He can refuse medication and just use the counseling services at the VA. I really think talking will help.... PTSD or TBI's are very volatile as you probably know, and help is often needed.
    ArmyWifeAshlie

Answer by ArmyWifeAshlie at 11:50 AM on Feb. 15, 2011