Can a kid really learn by just a song?

Discovery Toys has a CD that is supposed to help teach the alphabet. But I don't understand how they can learn by just listening and not seeing anything.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:47 AM on Feb. 15, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• The one on Sounds Like Fun? Great song! It won't teach your child letter recognition, but it's excellent for teaching letter sounds. Wonderful used in conjunction with something else for recognition.

Answer by missanc at 11:52 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• ~*Smiles*~... I used that "Bingo" song to teach my son Tyler to spall his name... Hahahaha

T~Y~L~E~R~... and that is your Name-o
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 12:06 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Didn't we all learn the alphabet through the ABCEFG song?

I taught my kids their names through song, too!

J-A-M-E-S-O-N that's your name it's Jameson J - - A - - M - - E - - S - - O - - N

When they were sad or hurt they'd even ask to hear their song or spell out their letters
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 12:10 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I think it can be good to help with memorizing some things and getting familiar with letters, sounds, numbers, etc, but I don't think a song alone will do the trick. For instance, my DD can sing the ABC's but she doesn't yet know what the letters themselves look like. Or she may know the Old MacDonald song and that a cow says "Moo" but that doesn't teach her what a cow actually looks like, for that she needs a picture in a book, etc. It can be a good tool to go along with other teaching tools, though, and a way to make learning fun.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 1:34 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I put in They Might Be Giants Here Comes the one two threes in the car for several weeks with the primary intention of it being tolerable non offensive noise that I could put on when my son was in the car after a bad morning of strange questions when I accidently left a rather vulgar commentary from a random talk radio show on one day. Much to my surprise my son not only started singing the songs on his own but he now can list all days of the week and several other things. I don't think that alone an audio cd is going to be a learning cure but paired with alphabet fridge magnets, a few episodes of super y and some coaching from you it will pick up very quickly. It takes about 200 times of repetition for something to register in both short term and long term memory (loosely quoting a text book over a decade old) so I think the key with the audio cd is constant repetition and repetition.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 1:52 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Songs teach kids a lot. At my daughter's preschool they sing a song about the days of the week and now she has them memorized in order at the age of 3.
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 5:51 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• My kids have learned a lot from songs!!!!!
    baby1love

Answer by baby1love at 2:17 PM on Feb. 16, 2011