Republicans vote to extend provisions of the Patriot Act, moves to senate, thoughts?

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – The Republican-led House of Representatives voted on Monday to extend expiring surveillance provisions of the anti-terrorism Patriot Act, overcoming unanticipated early opposition.

On a largely party-line vote of 275-144 vote, the House sent the measure -- a proposed nine-month renewal of three provisions set to expire in two weeks -- to the Democratic-led Senate for consideration.

The action came a week after House Republican leaders failed to get the bill approved under a fast-track approach normally reserved for non-controversial issues.

They came up seven votes short of the needed two-thirds majority because of the unexpected scope of opposition that included 26 Republicans, a number of whom are backed by the anti-establishment Tea Party, and 122 Democrats. Foes complained the provisions amount to a federal over reach.

Initial defeat surprised Republican leaders and forced them to bring the bill back under normal procedures that require just a simple majority to prevail but takes more time.

The Patriot Act became law after the September 11, 2001 attacks. Expiring provisions permit: obtaining roving wiretaps on suspected terrorists who switch their mode of communications; tracking foreigners who may have loose ties to militants but are acting as "lone wolves" in plotting attacks, and accessing certain business records.

House Judiciary Committee Chairman Lamar Smith, a Republican, helped rally support for renewing the provisions.

"Numerous terrorist attempts in the last ten years have been thwarted thanks to the intelligence-gathering tools provided in the Patriot Act and other national security laws," Smith said.

"If Congress fails to extend the provisions set to expire on February 28th, it will be on our shoulders if the intelligence needed to stop the next attack is not collected," Smith warned.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 12:12 PM on Feb. 15, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 12:12 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Foes complained the provisions amount to a federal over reach.

so what happened in the last few days to change this?
    sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 12:13 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I dont have a problem with the Patriot act.

Answer by gemgem at 12:13 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

•  

I dont have a problem with the Patriot act.

Some Tea Party candidats complained it was an overreach of the federal govt and a violation of our civil liberties

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 12:17 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Good thing I am not part of the tea party then.

Answer by gemgem at 12:17 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

•  

Good thing I am not part of the tea party then.

You don't feel its a violation of your civil liberties? overreach by the federal gov't?

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 12:22 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I honestly dont care because I dont do anything worth intruding on my privacy for. If they want to see what I read, where I shop, who I talk to, what web sites I go to then they would probably get bored pretty quickly. On top of it I have lived in a military life and have had to know when my dads various clearances were coming due and they know I am doing anyway. Nothing new for me.

Answer by gemgem at 12:25 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I honestly dont care because I dont do anything worth intruding on my privacy for

So you think its ok to infringe on civil liberties in this case?

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 12:26 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• no thoughts, just points for now
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 12:28 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I have no problem with extending RICO Act to terrorists.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 12:44 PM on Feb. 15, 2011