My 5 yr old wont stop vomitting.... what should i do??

no fever... but he cannot seem to even hold down water - started at 4 am.... now it is noon and i have tried to make him eat crackers - he barfed them... he is puking even water! so i ran to to drug store to see if there is any meds for little kdis but the only pepto sorta thing said it was only for ppl over 12 yrs..... if you have any ideas to help me out here i would greatly appreciate the input... he honestly has never had a stomache flu before. he has only ever puked once at a time from bad reactions to foods. currently he is trying ginger ale and watered down lipton soup.

AmaliaD

Asked by AmaliaD at 12:23 PM on Feb. 15, 2011 in General Parenting

• Sounds like a stomach bug. First of all dont press any foods. Make sure he is getting fluids though. Try pedialite, Popsicles, and he should get 3-4 oz of liquid in him for every hour he is awake. My dr always told me not to give them any food for the first 24 hours, and then introduce small things like crackers, chicken broth etc. If he gets dehydrated you will know because he will not urinate as often as he does normally, he wont have any tears. If he doesnt show any signs of improvement then take him to the ER or your pediatrician.

Answer by gemgem at 12:27 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Don't give him anything for a few hours. Then try a small sip of water. Don't keep giving food if he is vomiting.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:27 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Y r u watering down soup?? No need to do that! Do not water down soup.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 12:29 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Forget food, he'll be fine, just keep him hydrated. Just push tiny amounts of water. Literally just the smallest sips every 10 minutes will be enough for him and hopefully will not trigger his stomach. I hope he gets better soon!
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 12:30 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Do the room temp ginger ale,sprite, hot tea ,pedialyte. U can give him chicken noodle,no noodles only broth. He can sip it. U can put it in a cup. Just keep giving fluids.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 12:36 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Pedialyte replaces all the electrolytes he is losing when he vomits. Doctors always say that.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 12:37 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• dh left for work so i cannot go to the store for pedilight but i might get some just in case on my next shopping trip. he is keeping the ginger ale down and last time he puked he had tears so that most likely means he didnt get too dehydrated. thanks for all the suggestions... lipton soup Says to make it with 4 cups of water which to me seems watered down so i usually make it with 3 cups... so i guess my watered down soup is really regular soup... and great idea in the popcicles... i have those.
    AmaliaD

Comment by AmaliaD (original poster) at 1:24 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• get that child to the doctor....no child should just throw up for no reason constantly.......
    SMALLfry05

Answer by SMALLfry05 at 4:01 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• okay small fry/ he is fine/ gatoraide fixed him - kids do throw up for the flu and the doc cannot really do anything to help it.... way to be rude!
    AmaliaD

Comment by AmaliaD (original poster) at 7:52 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• sorry, I didn´t see this before. If you don´t have pedyalite, next time, take 1 liter of boiled water-has to be cooled down, ad 1 tbsp sugar and 1 tsp salt, stir. This serves the same purpose... spoon feed it to the child (to avoid the gag reflex)
    Belovedmoonpixi

Answer by Belovedmoonpixi at 12:20 AM on Feb. 18, 2011