Would you let a younger kid stay home from school to help you care for a very sick 5th grader?

An acquaintance of mine let her 2nd grader stay home to help care fo her very sick 5th grader because she works 3rd shift and wants to sleep. Would you do it?

I wouldn't do it.

tiddliwinks

Asked by tiddliwinks at 12:23 PM on Feb. 15, 2011 in General Parenting

• No! I can't imagine expecting a second grader to take care of a sick sibling! The only time a kid might miss school for a sick sibling would be if the sibling was extremely contagious or flat out too sick to sit in the car while I drove the other kids to school. And that has never happened... though a few times I have driven the well kids to school while the sick kid sits with the barf bucket on their lap!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 3:33 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• No!! I would not do it. It is the moms responsibility,not the kids!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 12:26 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Normally, no. But if I worked 3rd shift and needed to get some sleep I might. It's easy to judge when it's a situation you're not in.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 12:28 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• No Id be to scared the younger one would get sick themselves.

Answer by gemgem at 12:28 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• No, but I might keep them home since they have been exposed to whatever the older child has. I would not expect the younger child to help me. I am the mom and that is my job.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 12:28 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• No. I wouldn't either. A second grader skipping school so its mother can sleep makes no sense to me, no matter what shift the mom works.
    Southernroots

Answer by Southernroots at 12:28 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• well, perhaps not properly to care for the 5th grader, but at least to wake me up if needed. (I sleep like a log) I generally bring DD to my bed when she's really sick because that way she can wake me up without having to get up, etc if she feels bad...
    Belovedmoonpixi

Answer by Belovedmoonpixi at 12:29 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Heck no.
    austinsmama1106

Answer by austinsmama1106 at 12:29 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• If the 2nd grader offered and wanted to be a 'nurse' I would since you never know when they're going to go down with it! But I wouldn't let her do any work...
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 12:31 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Heck no. That is my job as a parent. Not to pawn it off on a younger child. Many times I've been sick myself, and barely slept, and still did what I had to as a parent.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 12:36 PM on Feb. 15, 2011