What was the reason why you had a c-section?

Not trying to be nosy or judgmental, I had a c-section myself. Just curious why other c-section mama's had to go that route (I'm the only c-section mom in my circle of friends, so I have no one to relate to). For me, my body would not progress with labor. Two days induced labor with pitocin and no dilation what so ever. Baby started stressing so off to the OR I went. I also had another c-section with my second daughter, and will be having a third and final one with my son next month.

Nanixh

Asked by Nanixh at 12:32 PM on Feb. 15, 2011 in Pregnancy

• the first time i had one (second baby) was pretty much the same reason as you. failure to progress. however, i blame the miscalculations of my OB for it. she had my due date off by 3 weeks late. i kept telling her that was impossible because my husband deployed in late february so how the hell did i get pregnant in mid march? then they were absolutely stumped that my second child weighed 10 pounds and i had no GD and my first baby was only 6 pounds. i truly believe if i had the right due date and had been induced a week late of that, and not 3 weeks late of it, my child would have been of normal weight and i possibly would have had another vaginal birth (my first was vaginal).

anyway, it didnt end up happening that way. my third was also a c-section because her and my 2nd are only 13 months apart, so a repeat was medically necessary.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 12:36 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I was in active labor for 4 days, didnt make progress past 2.5 cm, after my water had broke and pitocin. His head wasnt even engaged in my pelvis. Turns out, the cord was wrapped 3 times around his neck, and my pelvis is way too small for my giant head babies. I will have a repeat csection in August.
    ArmyWifeAshlie

Answer by ArmyWifeAshlie at 12:35 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• btw, try explaining that to your husband, inlaws, family, LOL
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 12:37 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I had the same thing. 2 days of induction and nothing. My second turned breach at the last minute and they were afraid he was too big to try and turn. I feel like the doctors do way too many c-sections these days.
    ConcernedMom141

Answer by ConcernedMom141 at 12:39 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I had some problems during my first pregnancy. I had to be hospitalized a couple of times due to dangerously high blood pressure. My body was very, very uncomfortable. Toward the end of my pregnancy, the doctor noticed that the baby seemed pretty big. They did an ultrasound and discovered that she was also breech and appeared so big that they didn't want to try to turn her. So between my health issues, her size and her position, a vaginal delivery just wasn't in the cards. She came out weighing 11 pounds, 7 ounces, BTW.

My second pregnancy was not as riddled with problems, but doc was afraid she might be huge too, and since the girls were somewhat close together (25 months apart), we thought c-section was the safest route. Turns out she was only 9 pounds, 3 ounces but it's all good. Do I wish I could have birthed vaginally the first time, therefore avoiding the subject of a repeat? Sure, but life goes on.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 12:41 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• My son was breech and we lost two babies before that. We decided not to do the turning of the baby because of the risks to him and myself. His heart rate kept dropping so I went to the hospital in the ambulance to have an emergency c-section.
    NAT24ROXY24

Answer by NAT24ROXY24 at 12:45 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I had a c section with my last pregnancy (twins) they were both breech and the doctor said that at least one had to be head down to attemp vaginal.my first 3 pregncnies were natural.
    bjane01

Answer by bjane01 at 3:06 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Mine was a stupid reason. They did many ultrasounds with me because of prior fertility problems, so they measured the baby often and she measured very big. They guess she would be 9lbs 7oz and since they can be off a pound either way, they recommended a c-section. In the doctor's exact words "If you were my wife, I would want you to have a c-section." It was our first so that kind of freaked us out and we scheduled a c-section. They were pretty close on the weight, she was 9lbs 4oz. I'm going to try for a VBAC with this one in May.
    moviemom22

Answer by moviemom22 at 3:57 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• My c-section was for breech. My doctor wouldn't deliver him vaginal breech because she said her malpractice insurance wouldn't cover her if she did. He spent 2 weeks in the NICU from c-section complications and I blamed myself those entire two weeks, and after, for not fighting harder to avoid the c-section.
    I had a VBAC with the third and am planning my second VBAC.
    fancyjane

Answer by fancyjane at 5:30 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I had gestational diabetes and my first was too big for me to have vaginally - I had him that way, but they had to break his shoulders to get him out. The drs were concerned about a repeat, so my 2nd and 3rd were induced at 37 weeks. With my 4th and 5th, the hospital wouldn't allow inductions before 39 weeks, so they were born via csection.

Answer by missanc at 8:04 PM on Feb. 15, 2011