What Do You Think About Pre-Planning Your Own Funeral?

If you have objections to it, what are they? Oh, and whose responsibility do you think it is? Yours or leaving it to your loved ones to deal with? Just wondering? Please be specific.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:42 AM on Nov. 18, 2008 in Just for Fun

• I think preplanning is the best gift to your loved ones. We preplanned my grandparents and it was easier to just go to the funeral home and not have to deal with all the many details you have at that time. And I think the financial details should be handled by you, have insurance or what ever way you plan on playing for your services covered before you pass. It's just a horrilbe time and to have to make all those decisions while greiving is so difficult. Then to have to worry about where you're going to get the money is even worse! My DH and I have policies to cover our services, but we have not gone to a funeral home and made plans as of yet. But we have discussed our wishes with each other and our living directives.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 5:49 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Well it depends. i know it's hard to think of your own funeral, but it's something you should talk with your family about. if your family wants to plan the funeral, then maybe you can help them out by telling them what you want there. i had a friends recently pass away, and she told everyone she didn't want anyone mourning, she wanted a "party" with everyone rejoicing because she was in a better place. She wanted spanish singing, dancing, and food at her funeral and we honored her wishes, but the family made the arrangements for like the flowers, the speakers and stuff. but like if you're in my situation, with my dh deploying here soon, we're going to be writing a will with all of both of our funeral arrrangements in it, because something could happen to him over there, and same with me. We even have someone to take our children in if God forbid something happens.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:06 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• I think its a great idea to do that. You never know when something will happen and just because you preplan it, doesn't mean that you are wishing death on yourself. Everyone should think about how hard it would be to plan a funeral for someone they love while in mourning & not only that, they would have to come up with money. I plan on making my own arrangements soon & writing a will as well...I wouldn't want my kids going to complete strangers if something were to ever happen to me (God forbid).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:18 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• After my dad passed away in January of 08, I decided I was going to plan mine. Dad didn't want to talk about death. He wasn't afraid of dying, he just didn't want to do it. He acted like talking about it was going to jinx him somehow. He hated funerals so out of respect for him per Mom's wishes we didn't have one. We had a memorial at my sisters house with a slide show for all the kids and grandkids. Dad was a veteran so all the arrangements were made with the cemetary and they gave a ceremony. Mom didn't get to go as it snowed and she won't go anywhere in the snow. I digress,
    I will be cremated. My remains will then be scattered all over the carpet for the kids to vacuum. No seriously, I will be cremated. What they do with my ashes is up to them. I don't care at that point. I do not want my family to go into debt over funeral arrangements for me.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 1:29 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• My Mom's is preplanned & paid for, except for the flowers. She has stated who she wants her certain belongings to go to. My Dad, who died 6 months ago, chose to be cremated, & he went downhill quickly.(he had lung cancer.) We had to decide on alot almost literally at the last min. for him, other than where he wanted his remains scattered. It's a good idea to have alot of this taken care of, before the person is unable to make their own decisions.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:37 AM on Nov. 18, 2008