Did anyone ever watch the documentry Food Inc???

Well I have this freinds who critasizes everything we eat, she always says well we eat everything organic and so on and so on, well we do 't sit and eat ding dongs all day long but I can't afford to buy everything orgainic and I posted and article on FB about some healthy choices at fastfood places and WOW she was the first one to respond asking me if I'd see Food Inc and well I did and wasn't impressed with it all together. Do you buy all organic? Meats , milk, eggs and so on?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:40 PM on Feb. 15, 2011 in Entertainment

• We grow most of our own produce organically, and we buy the top 12 organic when we need to. We buy all our meat and poultry and dairy organic, and we buy our fish according to Monterey Bay Aquarium's Seafood Watch program. I don't go around openly criticizing what people choose to eat, but obviously I choose this way because I feel it's the healthier and more responsible way to feed my family.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 12:45 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I would buy organic if I could but living in the real world and living on a budget I can't always and sure don't nag at people for their choices.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:02 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• If I had a greenthumb I'd grow most of our produce, but I don't! The quality of our food is a high priority to our family, so we sacrifice in other areas to eat as organic and locally as we can. I shop at the farmer's market and buy from local vendors as much as possible. Organic is important to us, because if the ways the pesticides affect hormones and other body processes, not to mention the increased risk for disease because of them. I'm studying to be a nurse and considering getting my RD as well, so I've done my research and have a good understanding about human physiology and nutrition. It's not always possible to eat organic, and it's more important to get the fruits and veggies and lean proteins in than to ensure they're all organic. But if the budget allows, it's a really good idea to do. At least look up the top 12 foods to buy organic and start there. Anything with fat should be organic, as (cont)
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 4:49 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• (cont) pesticides and other toxins tend to be stored in fat. So oils, meats, dairy, cheeses, etc should all be organic. Some types of produce, like bell peppers, stone fruit (like peaches, nectarines, etc) tend to have high pesticide levels, and the pesticides used are more dangerous, so they're among the top foods in the dirty dozen. Google it and consider it when you're shopping next. Also, foods you tend to consume a lot of are good to get organic, for the sake of keeping the toxin levels from building up in your system.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 4:52 AM on Feb. 16, 2011