Wat to give a 5 month old when shes constipated? that when the stool is kind of hard, rite?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:52 PM on Feb. 15, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Constipation is indeed hard dry stools. Increase her liquids, decrease solids. Eliminate cereal entirely... it constipates.

No Karo. It's a botulism risk. (In case anyone suggests it.)

Answer by gdiamante at 12:54 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Call your pediatrician and ask what he/she recommends.
    RoostersMom4

Answer by RoostersMom4 at 1:11 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• My sons Dr. told me to give my son DARK karo syrup in his bottle just abt a tsp. and it worked wonderful and it didnt hurt him a bit. or u could also use mineral oil. I know that my dr would have given anything to my son that would hurt him. And it not like u are giving him the whole jar.
    brooklyndm

Answer by brooklyndm at 2:04 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• The Karo company is the one who says not to give their product.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:32 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• My son is 4 months old and his pedi said You can give juice diluted with some water. Pear juice is supposed to be really good. Just give her about 2 ounces though. They also make a glycerin suppository in a child size that you cut and insert about a 1/4 and that supposed to get things moving.
    carolinagirl075

Answer by carolinagirl075 at 4:01 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• My son had the same issue at that age. He wouldn't drink watered down juice, so I put a little bit in his baby cereal. Either the rice cereal or oatmeal. Be careful not to use too much, it could have the opposite effect!
    Blakesmommy0907

Answer by Blakesmommy0907 at 4:04 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• What is her diet? Has anything in her diet recently changed? Is it dry, hard, almost pellet like stool? Just once, or frequently?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:41 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• If she is eating cereal then try oatmeal cereal stuff--because that's what my pedi said to give our son if he becomes constipated--instead of the rice cereal. Also, the pedi said that we could give 2 oz of UNdiluted (no water added) juice a day (apple or pear juice)--he said the sweeter the better and I guess that's why I am not supposed to dilute it with water for constipation purposes.
    LevisWife8587

Answer by LevisWife8587 at 1:35 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• "No Karo. It's a botulism risk. (In case anyone suggests it.) "

I thought honey was the botulism risk. Regardless, that's not something I would have thought of.

I don't know why, but whenever my daughter had poop issues, I'd give her applesauce. Within a day or two she would take a mega-dump. It was probably just coincidence, though.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 10:42 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Honey is also a botulism risk.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:42 AM on Feb. 16, 2011