Homemade cleaning products

i was thinking it might be more cost friendly to make my own cleaning products does anyone have any suggestions or recipes and thoughts on this idea

ahsot1230

Asked by ahsot1230 at 12:56 PM on Feb. 15, 2011 in Home & Garden

• This Is what we use for most cleaning (initially used as part of my daughter's 6th grade science fair project). It is cheap (my favorite) and non-toxic.
    1/4 cup white vinegar
    3/4 cup warm tap water
    1 tablespoon baking soda
    10 drops of tea tree oil (antibacterial, antifungal, etc.)
    2 drops oil of lavender essential oil (optional) (antiseptic and smells nice)
    For extra scrubbing, I make a paste with salt, baking soda and vinegar

Answer by rkoloms at 11:19 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I clean everything in the house with vinegar and baking soda. Google it. There's some interestinf facts on it. Its cheap and works great!!
    yevsgirl

Answer by yevsgirl at 12:59 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I have documents that I can email to you. I teach a community education class on natural living, and I have handouts ready to go. If you're interested, message me with your email address.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 12:58 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• michholl4~ you can name the company on here.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 1:13 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I, personally, am not a fan of Melaleuca, Amway, or Shaklee products...especially in light of how easy, inexpensive, and honest-to-goodness EDIBLE safe you can make your own cleaners at home.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 1:43 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• 1 gallon water
    1 cup vinegar
    1/2 cup ammonia
    1/2 cup baking soda

I mix it all up and keep the extra in a gallon jug under the sink and use an empty spray bottle for around the house jobs. Cleans everything!!
    hippomom1919

Answer by hippomom1919 at 4:24 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I was wondering that too. Thanks for the help.

HomeAlone45

Answer by HomeAlone45 at 9:29 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• There is a company (don't know if I can name names on this site??) that was featured on Oprah show a few years ago for Earth Day b/c their products have been named the Official Earth Day cleaners. My parents began using their cleaners in our home nearly 40 years ago...I continue to use them today in my home. They have several products that would be as cheap or cheaper than vinegar, baking soda, etc....and work well because they are designed to be cleaners. Do some searching, and find them for yourself...can't buy them in stores, but you can direct order them from the company (having a membership helps you get a better deal).
    michholl4

Answer by michholl4 at 1:09 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Oh thanks! It's Shaklee cleaning products. I use all of them. Laundry products are competitively priced and do a great job with no noxious fumes lurking in the clothes. The household cleaners that I could not give up would be the Basic H (household) and the Basic G (germs) and the Scour Off. They're really cheap to use when mixed correctly with water. If I did not know about this company, I would definitely be mixing my own solutions so that my home could leave a small environmental footprint.
    michholl4

Answer by michholl4 at 1:30 PM on Feb. 15, 2011